+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginner - Novice - Expert

beginner-novice-expert.jpg

Brian Marshall sent me this and I find it really interesting. It was sent to him by a European goldsmith and pertains to professionals, not hobbyists.

===================

Beginner takes from 2 to 4 years (a few stay here forever)

Novice - making the more "complex" mistakes in your work, because now you can (and think you know it all) - 4 to 10 years

Expert - at least 10-15 years+ (some never make it, even after 30 or 40 years!)

Over here (in the US) you are an "Expert" or "Professional" in less than 2 years...

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

:::: Leave more than you take ::::

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that when I was in the 4-10 range I thought I knew a lot more than I did. Now in the 35+ year range I realize how much I don't know.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, I think a lot of that realizing you don't know everything, comes with age/wisdom.
    "No thing of importance will come without effort".

Post Thanks / Like

its true, I think in most skilled craft type work. Off topic a bit but related i think my experience. I used to train people to operate Acme-Gridley screw machines. Some could never learn to grind tools, cutoffs, drills etc. a few could catch on & improve. a very few could catch on & excel. the Acme co. told us it would take 3-6 years to get a competent operator, our Co. tried to get in done in 180 days. It ususally failed. I loved that job, learned something new everyday.
    Last edited by mtlctr; 06-12-2015 at 03:10 PM.

5. Likes Toad, Marrinan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers he talks about the 10,000 hour principle. If you have the aptitude and drive it takes roughly 10,000 hours to achieve what we as engravers would refer to as a Master level. One of his examples was the Beatles and the years and many hours spent in Germany playing nightclubs to fine tune their act before stardom. Fascinating book.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's that way with everything in life for most people. There are some experts in 3 or 4 years like Bill Gates and Farnsworth.

8. Likes Marrinan liked this post
    Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

I started studying and practicing engraving in '67 (No...not 1867) and have learned just how little I have learned...plus I realize how enjoyable it would be to have another 48 years to double what little I do know. Cannot understand how anyone could possibly be bored with life!!
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same as you SAM. There has to be something wrong with people who do nothing and are bored. I can't imagine how a man can live and not have a hobby or build anything.

Post Thanks / Like

"Over here (in the US) you are an "Expert" or "Professional" in less than 2 years"

Don't you think there is something wrong with that? In a country with so few engravers (relatively) don't you think that the number of official (FEGA sanction) "Masters" is ridiculously high, don't you think that the standards for such a recognition should be higher and therefore more meaningful?

12. Likes Tim Young, mitch, Dani Girl, Toad, Dave London and 7 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Duguet View Post
    "Over here (in the US) you are an "Expert" or "Professional" in less than 2 years"
    don't you think that the standards for such a recognition should be higher and therefore more meaningful?
    ...Yes....

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast