Iphone pictures quick and easy

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been rather amazed at the quality of quickie photos I have been able to take with my Iphone as I have been engraving various projects these past few years. I know real good quality photos are rather difficult for most of us to do.
Here's a picture of a piece I am working on that i just shot and hopefully what I do might help others out.
First I rubbed the engraving with a black Sharpie to color it in and wiped it off with a paper towel lightly dampened with a drop of alcohol.
I then rolled a piece of modeling clay over it to dull the glare a bit.
Leaving everything set up in the vice under the microscope I used the light for illumination but covered it with a paper towel to diffuse the light.
I then just hand held the phone, got the right angle and snapped the picture.
The clarity is amazing to me at least and worth taking these shots as you go along.
Hope this helps
Marty

Attachments

• trollop 3.jpg
    trollop 3.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 279

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
Marty, if u want to do some "macro" shots, hold a small loupe over the lens of ur iPhone and focus by moving the camera closer or farther away...Dan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 257

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I have seen gem dealers with a small, magnetic macro lens that sticks on over the phone lens. Very cool, sorry I don't have more info.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's going to be a beautiful rifle when you get done. Already a work of art. I was married in Loveland back in 76,Your work is always to of the line. Fred

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Eric and Dan. Thanks for the tip on auxiliary lenses for the iphone. Funny that a friend at dinner last night was telling me he us buying a set of clip on lenses for his wife's phone as that is all they are using anymore to take pictures when they are on a trip. I'm amazed at the clarity and how stinking small the lens is on the phone. When I was on vacation in Europe last year i did see many people taking photos with their Ipad and upon reading about it they say the phone actually takes a better photo. So basically what i have been doing with these photos is taking them and then emailing the better on to myself so I can get it onto my archaic computer. Here's where I am at right now with the engraving and I haven't photoshopped it at all. Great point and shoot camera tool for us to use

Attachments

• trollop 4.jpg
    trollop 4.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 174

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam .............. Don't you know you are supposed to crank the phone up before you take it off the wall. :thinking:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marty: Great shots of great engraving! The iPhone's camera is pretty amazing and just keeps getting better. We finally have camera phone photos that can be suitable for everything except really critical things like publication, large prints, etc. The clarity and sharpness of a DSLR is still the king, but as camera phones get better I find myself using my Canon system less because I can get great photos for forum posts, Instagram, Facebook, etc from my iPhone.

For extreme closeups I use a rubber band to attach a Zeiss or Schnieder loupe over the lens of my phone. I also shoot through my microscope eyepiece for really close shots.

This gadget is brilliant! http://www.amazon.com/RetiCAM®-Sma...p/B00FS5L9D4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 It's a tripod head for smartphones. I use it in conjunction with this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553825-REG/Manfrotto_244_244_Variable_Friction_Magic.html The arm clamps to a bench or table and you can compose shoot with precision. Camera+ app will allow you to do exposure compensations and it even has a self timer to eliminate camera shake when shooting slow shutter speeds.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats another rally neat attachment for the phone Sam. I would assume we will be seeing more and more of these as we go along. I've been using the pinky tripod technique as inhold the phone but these accessories really cant be beat and they won't break the bank. Now if we can only find a crank handle for SamW

Latest posts

Sponsors