Big piece of rock

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Something just occurred to me. I've only sculpted small works, busts etc., so movement around the work was easy. After studying your carved figure I wondered how do you do the detailed carving around the face etc. on a seated figure? To keep from being unbalanced and over stretching with your heavy tools, you must have practically had to sit in his lap! It must have called for some uncomfortable days of carving.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
To keep from being unbalanced and over stretching with your heavy tools, you must have practically had to sit in his lap! It must have called for some uncomfortable days of carving.
A mix of scaffolding, wooden platforms, and sitting on his lap. :beatup:

It does get tricky, because I can't lean on my arms at all for balance or that would mess up my tool control.

Gargoyle

Stopped by the site today. The pedestal, platform and seating areas are just about ready. First time I've seen that other than in the architects drawings. It was a grassy area last time I was there.

Damen_Site (2).jpg

I'm not sure, but I think the notches in the steps are to install skate board deterrents.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Stopped by the site today. The pedestal, platform and seating areas are just about ready. First time I've seen that other than in the architects drawings. It was a grassy area last time I was there.

View attachment 34764

I'm not sure, but I think the notches in the steps are to install skate board deterrents.

the antiSkater blocks are usually just nailed/bolted right on top. these look to be spaced more for installing hand rails.

really looking forward to seeing the finished sculpture in place.

Gargoyle

the antiSkater blocks are usually just nailed/bolted right on top. these look to be spaced more for installing hand rails.

really looking forward to seeing the finished sculpture in place.
Could be. The site plans I've received show the overall design but not some of the finer details.

Gargoyle

Where did you sign your work?

Haven't decided yet. Three choices, lower side of the chair near the base, lower back of the chair near the base, or the spine of one of the books (there will be a pile of books and scrolls at his feet, I'm working on those now). I'll consult with the boss (Mrs. Gargoyle), and she gets the final say.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Walter,

I noticed a firefighter's helmet on a carved pedestal in the foreground of one picture. Are you doing a monument to a deceased firefighter?

Gargoyle

Walter,

I noticed a firefighter's helmet on a carved pedestal in the foreground of one picture. Are you doing a monument to a deceased firefighter?
Yes, a tree stump tombstone.

This is the back side, still working on the front side.
mem-fireman-tree-rear.jpg

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you went back 120 years ago it was completely ordinary. Thousands of pieces like this were being carved back then. Unfortunately, it's extremely rare now.

120 years ago, hand engraving was completely ordinary also. In fact there was no need to reference hand engraving because it was the only kind of engraving.