Busybee/craftex/grizzley universal surface grinder

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember seeing a post on here where someone was using one of these to sharpen.. But I can't find the link in the archives.
I didn't pay that close attention when I seen it, because I'm already set up w Powerhone etc. only problem, the Powerhone is sllooow.
Actually other problem. Constantly jacking around with shims to get the right height for Lindsay
templates.
Which brings us to the universal knife grinder. Mine says busybee, but the same machine is put out by crafted and grizzley. The real nice thing about it is that it's got a table that you can raise and lower for using w the templates. Actually quite wonderful.

My question... Is anybody using this? If so do you know any hacks for it?
In particular lap hacks?
And speed hacks? I want to slow down the wheel so as not to burn tools.

I haven't pulled it apart to look at the motor, but it is a direct drive ac.
I did hook up a rheostat on the line, and it did slow down the motor.... But I think that if it is ac that can burn out my motor.... Am I right here?

I'm looking into a variable frequency drive.
I imagine somebody has tackled this before, since seems like everything under the sun and moon has been tried by you guys.

Thanks for any help on this

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Chug
Supposed to get my replacement phone Wednesday.
Can shoot you some pics then.
I'm sure I told you that the other day. :beatup:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have used variacs to slow down ac motors. for continued use, i think such would eventually trash the windings. the variac effect will stop &start the motor at a rate depending on how you set the dial. a variac will work very nicely on a dc motor. from zero volts to the voltage the dc motor was designed for. exceeding the voltage on the motor will eventually cause it to fail. i used a power hone for years & no problem. lindsays' system is not difficult at all to "shim" as you call it.
i now have great success using 6" bonded diamond disks. i attach an arbor, and just use a drillpress.
the extra diameter affords more sfm than the powerhone. i lube & cool with ordinary medical grade mineral oil.variacs can be had for a song. a bridge rectifier is wired to it, & you're good to go. if you are near a scrapyard-- exercise machines and a host of other things use dc motors. they are rather cheap if purchased at such a place. most exercise machines that end up in the junkyard are not worn out. many are close to brand new !

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I wrote earlier, but it didn't 'take' for some reason. Monk is right, in that you'll incur a heat damaging problem possibly with the frequency control. Also, cost is a factor. Best thing is roughing with the grinder you show, or other, from, say, 180 grit or 240 grit, then jump to maybe 320 grit or 600 grit, and finish face & heels with Steve's diamond plates that can easily shimmed to with .001", or so. The time is eaten away by the roughing, so here's where you'll save. Once you're set up, you can do a bunch of cutters in no time, and just have to touch up heels & faces.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My understanding is that the vfd doesn't change the voltage, just the hertz. Had an Italian one wired into my bright cut machine before. But I never really fired it up much. And I imagine whoever rigged it knew what they were doing. I clearly do not.... But thought somebody on here might have fooled around w one of these. So when I walk in the helicopter shop down the road, I know what I'm asking for.
I'm capable of shimming of course, but the table on this hone is just so much more elegant.
i have used variacs to slow down ac motors. for continued use, i think such would eventually trash the windings. the variac effect will stop &start the motor at a rate depending on how you set the dial. a variac will work very nicely on a dc motor. from zero volts to the voltage the dc motor was designed for. exceeding the voltage on the motor will eventually cause it to fail. i used a power hone for years & no problem. lindsays' system is not difficult at all to "shim" as you call it.
i now have great success using 6" bonded diamond disks. i attach an arbor, and just use a drillpress.
the extra diameter affords more sfm than the powerhone. i lube & cool with ordinary medical grade mineral oil.variacs can be had for a song. a bridge rectifier is wired to it, & you're good to go. if you are near a scrapyard-- exercise machines and a host of other things use dc motors. they are rather cheap if purchased at such a place. most exercise machines that end up in the junkyard are not worn out. many are close to brand new !

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might drop in over at Steve's sit and check out Carl's Drill Press conversion setup. A cheap 8 inch drill press and Car's mandril shold do you fine. Fred

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Monk, Ron,
I've done some more digging. And seems that a vfd will work on an ac motor, just not mine. Needs to be a three phase motor.
I'm not giving up totally (seen a single phase in/out listed. Not sure what that means tho.

Thanks Fred.
I do know the drill press set up... I'm just messing around with this grinder.

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I have the Makita version of that grinder that I use to sharpen planer blades.

Last edited:

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
learn to sharpen by hand, an art in itself. even good stones cheapr than a machine / hone, last darn near forever if taken care of, no setup, no electric, no downtime.:biggrin::hammer:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not too concerned here about what I might be able to do besides what I was asking about. Tho I do appreciate the impulse to help out.
I've been engraving in one form or another for about fifteen years. Sharpening on stones the whole while. Set up with some air assist inside the last five or six years. Have a couple power hones, and a faceting lap across the country. Also a drill press, and a bench grinder.
I'm asking about any bodies experience with this unit because I'm fooling around with it, and also because it has some properties that would make it the best thing ever (if it works out).
If not, it did a nice job on my kitchen knives. But man it's fast...

Sponsors