Critique Request My first shot at case color hardening

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Well, looking forward to comments on the CCH, I also engraved this 49 pocket pistol, critique of engraving always appreciated also. Plan on doing the nitre blue to the barrel / cylinder when time permits. Already have a walnut grip made with with hand rubbed oil finish(first acceptable grip:shock:).
Will post pics of the assembled gun when completed. I guess my impatience got the better of me and I wanted to hear what ya'll think of it. :handpiece:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 190

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael
I think you did a real nice job on the case color hardening. In my opinion that is about as good as it gets. Too much color can be overdone. Yours looks real nice. As you can see though it kind of hides the engraving. I hope you didn't get any warping on the main frame.

Last edited:

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thx jerry. No warpage. I had better contrast of colors between light and dark with aluma Hyde II one shot epoxy from Brownells but could not get and even coat, would glob and make engraving invisible, so I stripped it in acetone and sprayed with G96 oil. By the way I later stripped the G96 and sprayed with rem oil and liked it a lot better. This is a pic of a friends gun that was done by Doug Turnbull. This is what I was shooting for. Since then Jim Martin has mentioned Colt 1st Gen colors are more to his liking so will need to educate myself on those colors. Looking forward to comments to help me improve. I wonder if more subdued colors such as colt 1st gen would show engraving off better?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 175

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i think you have done a nice job all around. i prefer the more subdued colors you achieved and are on the gun i posted earlier

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Looks pretty darn good. What kind of hardness were you able to achieve? What do you think it would compare to?(hardness)

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thx Wilson and JJ. As far as hardness, I'm old school and tested with file before and after. File bit easily before CCH and skipped over metal after CCW. I took some pics of some guns engraved and cased by Jerry Harper. I know he always does everything on his guns period correct but he said he was never satisfied with his colors. These are 1st gen guns. These seem to be close to correct. Seem to show off engraving. Would like to know what ya'll think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Micheal. If you can, photograph the gun outside on a bright cloudy day. This way the colors would show up better and truer without so much glare. You did a really nice job and keep on experimenting with them and the top coat. You can alsomtrynspraying them withnsatin spray laquer

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thx Marty. I need the photography tips. I realize my photo's suck and will try to take better pics in the future. Love you work by the way!:bow:

Latest posts

Sponsors