How about these for magnification?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a cheap gallilean style set of loupes. the optics are fairly good in my set. be advised-- these loupes take a lot of "getting used to". most of us are quite comfortable using optivisors and scopes. using this type of loupe, you have a feeling ( at least i do) of almost being disconnected from what you're cutting.with a focal length of 14 or so inches coupled with a dof maybe .75", it's strange at first.
i'd not buy these if returns aren't accepted.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Ok thank you Monk. It seems whenever I ask a question your one of the few that bothers to respond. Sure seems like a good many want the art form to stay small I guess.

monk

Staff member
Ok thank you Monk. It seems whenever I ask a question your one of the few that bothers to respond. Sure seems like a good many want the art form to stay small I guess.

i don't agree. if this community was to be kept "small", i don't think you'd see much in the way of participation here. it would be more on the personal level rather than the level of a forum. i always try to help anybody that i can. many others have done such for me.
as for, "me being the only responder". i have had a few posts virtually ignored. i don't "read much" into the lack of response by members. there are times i don't respond to posts. it's nothing at the personal level on my part- i just don't respond. anyway, this is a place of learning and sharing. and i always try to keep that in mind.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Probably another part of the lack of response is lack of knowledge... few of us would have ever used this kind of magnification... so if you do happen to get them and try them out it would be fantastic if you could do some kind of a review in this thread to inform the rest of us.

I know it's frustrating sometimes when no one responds, no rhyme or reason there. Keep posting on here though, you really will find a whole bunch of wonderful people, very sharing and kind hearted fellas and ladies. I have anyway :)

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
I have had lackluster response to threads I though would be barn burners.....I have learned its all in who happens to be reading at the time you summit your thread....Some times people will pick it up in the history pages and bang you get a bunch of response.....So don't give up the ship if you don't see something happen right away...

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
There have been numerous threads on surgical,dental,galien loops. Many times people don't respond because the subject has been covered thoroughly and often. The search feature is a newbies best friend.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
Hi Dad of 3,

I don't use this style, but reading the specs gives some things to like; the fact that the depth of field is 3", and the working distance is 13 3/8", you can theoretically have something in focus from nearly 15" to 12" away from your eyes. With a scope, sometimes the depth of field feels like it's razor thin, and that can be challenging to keep work in focus, so this looks really attractive. At 3.5x power, it's a nice step up from no magnification, and you can do a lot of nice work in that magnification range. Super tiny details might make you want to bump up the magnification, and that's where a scope can have an advantage over this type of gear, but many who do superior work use nothing more than Optivisors, or their equivalent. The model you've linked to are very affordable, at the sale price of $250, compared to what you'll likely spend on a scope, which at a low end can literally be 10 times the cost of these, and for a decidedly average quality scope.

For a certain range of work, if I could arrange my work space so that engraving at the specified distance from my eyes was comfortable, these are very tempting. In part, I'm assuming you're asking about these because you're trying to get a handle on how and how much to gear up? A good part of that answer lies in the type of work you will be doing. If you haven't done much work, it's hard to know, so you get a circular argument. Whatever you decide to use, you'll find out a way to get it to work for you. No one wants to fritter away money on tools and equipment that turned out to be bad decisions, but it would be rare for anyone to not evolve and grow both away from some tools and towards others. If you were to choose this type of magnification, I don't think it would be a bad decision, at all. It's economical, it has a known sweet spot for size, working distance, depth of field and magnification. Depending on how you envision working, something that hasn't been brought up is portability. You're not tied to a specific spot or location with this type of magnification. Knowing those things going in, it'd make sense that you would shape and direct your work to capitalize on all of the positive attributes of your setup, and go from there. You'll gradually come to learn what types of work are challenging to do because of tool or equipment limitations, and if that's the direction you see yourself taking, then, with more experience, you can better decide about an upgrade. If these are of good quality to begin with, they'll have some resale value that can amortize their cost if you decide your new direction excludes this type of magnification and you want to unload them.

Best regards,
Doug

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The one issue with this type of magnifications is keeping your object (working space-place) in focus. Your neck is gonna get sore trying to maintain the depth of field.The constant static position of a scope is a definite plus!!!!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
As someone pointed out recently, you need to thank those offering information or else they will stop.
I have given you several tips with no response, so that is why I stopped.
A simple thank you goes a long way.

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
i have upstairs a set of these style , mine are glasses though without the full head set , like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surgical-Me...al-Optical-Glass-Loupe-FROM-USA-/141613748728
i tried them , they do exactly what they said , and where around £30 / $50 . I personally would reccomend you save for a second hand microscope rather than buy these , they work but they dont feel right for the job and certainly not at that price. i prefered just practicing by eye than these until i got the scope. but everyone is different .

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
As someone pointed out recently, you need to thank those offering information or else they will stop.
I have given you several tips with no response, so that is why I stopped.
A simple thank you goes a long way.

I don;t know what you are talking about Jeff. If you look back at my posts I do thank folks. Sorry if you didn't get an email back from me but I would have needed to get a tip in order to thank you.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Is it expected to thank folks for each single responce on here individual type thing of just a blanket thank you to all info posters? I don't want any folks to think I'm not thankful for the time folks take to help anyone as that is not the case. Anyway thank you to all who took the time to respond. If I haven't thanked anyone in the past for anything here is my belated thank you. I think someone on this forum told me to stop asking questions and start cutting. To whomever that may have been that was the best advice I could have been offered. I learned more in a few hours cutting than countless hours of searching and asking questions as I didn't know enough about it to even ask a decent question.