Help, please: Engraver ID Wanted

papalondog

Here are a couple pictures of a Winchester model 61 22 rifle I just purchased. I am trying to find out who may have engraved it. Any help will certainly be appreciated. The rifle was made in 1936 but I have no idea when it was engraved. Lonnie

Pistol Grip Cap

papalondog

I have looked this thing over with a magnifying glass. I cannot find a name or letter anywhere except for the pork and bean can.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I would say it looks like Walter Kolouch. I have seen quite a bit of his work and know he did some of these. ZZ

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Goggle his name and you will see some of his work and get history. Very respected engraver and work very sought after by many. Unfortunately he is no longer with us I believe.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe Walter is still with us. He mostly does gunsmithing and color case hardening these days.

Regarding the gun, I have seen a picture of that gun before but it is not in my files. It looks like Angelo Bee's work but Angelo stamps his work ABEE sometimes with a little bee. Sometimes his signature is just the bee.

papalondog

Thank you all so very much. Believe it or not, I just got off the phone with Walter Kolouch. I started describing the rifle and he finished describing it. He remembers it well and said it was an outstanding piece. Now the good part. Walter lives about 50 miles from me and we are going to hook up. He wants to see the rifle and will give me a letter of authenticity. Once again, I can't thank you all enough.
Lonnie

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Wow! What luck!! I suspect you can learn a lot from Walter, and being only 50 miles away you can visit regularly. The gun is very nice too!!

Latest posts

Sponsors