Winchester Model 61

Renegade

Looking for guidance. I believe this to be the work of a Japanese/US engraver. My research brings a Hiroo Sugaya and a Shiro Ogawa as possible candidates. Are they one in the same? Found a very similar sample on the Colt Forum thread.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That Winchester was done in Japan,Japanese engravers use silver for there inlays.J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For a country with a such rich history in metal work and engraving, I've always been puzzled as to why their gun engraving looks the way it does.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sugawa and Ogawa are two different engravers. I have never been able to discern the difference between the work of one Japanese engraver from another except for Sam Kinamuchi, who worked for gunsmith, Ken Eyster near Dayton, Ohio in the 1970s and 1980s. I have heard that during the 1940s a Japanese engraver was trained in Germany and he trained others in gun engraving. Though Japanese engraving is quite distinctive, it is based on German scroll and blackleaf designs.

Renegade

Thank you for your prompt reply. Would anyone share or give an estimate on approximate cost to duplicate engraving similar to this both then (50's and 60's) and now???

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
Whether or not it was done in silver or gold was the customer's choice, in my case I was only 19 and silver was $15.00 per inlay
Where gold was 35 the engraving and the price of the gun was $150, it is a fox bst double barrel engraving was done 10 inches up the barrel
Four silver inlays the stock engraved on side and dog head in ivory on the grip. those were the days

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Eugene,

It sounds like you were one of the GIs who bought a gun from the PX/BX and had it engraved there in Japan. All of the information that I have received about this has been third hand. Could you please elaborate on how it was all done and anything about the engraver.

Thanks,
Roger

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am more interested in the information than pictures, Eugene. Do you know the names of any of the Japanese engravers that worked in or through the PX? I have heard that at least one engraver actually worked in the PX. Do you know anything about that? What was the time period of your tour in Japan?

As FEGA historian, I constantly receive "who done it" requests about guns that I can easily identify as the work of Japanese engravers but the rest of the information regarding occupied Japan is rather vague.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue.

Latest posts

Sponsors