Question: Anodizing

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
how mutch Ampere do you need at higher Voltages for anodizing ?
with my setup-- 130 volts give an almost invisible color change. 15 volts a very nice purple. i really don't know how many amps. there's no ammeter on my rig, just volts.

monk

Staff member
Thank You
Ok maybe it was the wrong question I found one 0-120v with 1A is it possible to use that or does it need more Ampere to get a nice color

i don't think the amperage requirement is very high. the cathode and part are farily close together, and immersed in an electrolyte solution. i think you may even be able to do this with a common battery- of the type available for flashlights, smoke detectors, and such. as far as amps go, the batteries deliver very low amperage.

monk

Staff member
I can't import rio grand's resist... I'll check gesswin but probably the same situation. I need to find something non hazardous to use if I'm going to import it

if black tar is used on the roads in your area-- one of the guys might just give you some. put it into a suitable container. make thin shavings of the stuff when it freezes. dissolve the shavings with lighter fluid (naphtha), or acetone when you get the right consistency---! wow, there's a good resist.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very mutch

ah may I have a solution for your problem. A few years ago I had some experiments with etching. You can print your design on normal paper and bring it with an electric iron to the metall heat between silk and cotton.
I made this and other designs with that etching method
Alois11.JPG
Anhänger Eva Rückseite.jpg

monk

Staff member
quite interesting etching work. what is the resist ? the ink from the printer? i'm really curious to know about this.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
yes it´s the toner from my laser Printer thats heated up with the electric Iron. Don´t use your transfer solution the metal must be clean. After melting up the Pic you need to take the workpiece in a bottle of warm water with dish soap. After a few minutes you can put the paper of and if the heat was right the plate is ready for etching. Most times the transfer takes a few trys.
One more thing You have to use original Toner i tryed it with noname toner but that doesen´t works
ah I´ve forgotten i have printet dthe designs on thin catalogue paper you can try it with baking paper too i´ve nerver tryed but I think it works too
I have found a tutorial
http://thomaspfeifer.net/direct_toner_pcb.htm

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROUeOtuXmE

Here's a youtube video a mate of mine made which shows the process pretty well. I didn't have any luck but it may be because my Iron wasn't hot enough... wrong paper,... wrong printer... or not clean enough metal. i am very impressed with how successful the etch was with that baby photo. Brilliant stuff... thanks for sharing.

monk

Staff member
yes it´s the toner from my laser Printer thats heated up with the electric Iron. Don´t use your transfer solution the metal must be clean. After melting up the Pic you need to take the workpiece in a bottle of warm water with dish soap. After a few minutes you can put the paper of and if the heat was right the plate is ready for etching. Most times the transfer takes a few trys.
One more thing You have to use original Toner i tryed it with noname toner but that doesen´t works
ah I´ve forgotten i have printet dthe designs on thin catalogue paper you can try it with baking paper too i´ve nerver tryed but I think it works too
I have found a tutorial
http://thomaspfeifer.net/direct_toner_pcb.htm

thanks very much. a very interesting technique to try. a real time saver in my world.

Latest posts

Sponsors