Labor Day Engravers Confabulation

FerrousOxide

Hi All, :tiphat:

Brian asked me to keep track of those planning to attend the
1st Annual West Coast Engravers Confabulation. :chip:

I have a list below of those who were interested when the idea was first posted.
Those who have already given me there info, don't worry, you are on the "confirmed" list.

If you see your screen name listed here, just reply here or shoot me a PM to let me know if you are planning to attend. I will also need your email/phone contact info in a PM so I can keep the list updated and put together an easy way to email everyone with updates.

Questions? Let 'em fly... :)

Pertinent info:
When: Labor Day weekend, Friday-Sunday, Sept 4-6
Where: Brian's Compound, Stockton, CA
What: All kind's of engraving seminars/demos/flea market/swapping tall tales/etc
Who: Well, that's what we're trying to figure out. :thinking:

List of Interested Parties

JohnR

Silverchip

Carlos

Dulltool

Lonestar

Troy G

dhall

bronc

Peter_M

BJK

kfengraver

Jshapco2

Daniel Barriga

Trini Uriarte

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Please add Glenda Dixon, Rob... yeah, I know you know...

And I WILL call you Bob. Just got back from taking Glenda to the airport.

Tomorrow I will post some of the short demos I will do myself. Something on silver soldering, lots of tips and tricks that aren't in the books or on the forums, a longer one on fixturing almost anything that will stand still long enough to engrave it, inlay & overlay tricks, easy to apply finishes, some coloring & patina techniques... "secret graver grinds" (not patented - yet, anyway)... stuff like that.

Anybody who wants to suggest anything else they'd like to see done "up close and personal" can put it up here and I will see what can be done to make you happy.

I'm still working on some surprises....

Brian

Also - anyone who is coming and can offer any tips or tricks on related techniques to ornamentation on metals, ivory or stone PLEASE speak up. Everything you'd need will be supplied for your demo.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Being a cripple and needing a sling to support my engraving arm outdoors is making things a bit difficult for some of the things I wanted to demo personally... still working on solving that one.

The last two guys I sent down to the hardware store for some sky hooks - never came back. Oh, well - on to plan B.

A lot is going to depend on the number of people who actually show up. I can squeeze maybe 10 people indoors where there are display screens connected to microscopes that all can "see".

Brian

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Brian,

I'm really looking forward to the get-together.

I've heard that using a flux capacitor will help stabilize the sky hooks.

Would you list the names of a couple of motels in the area?

Thanks,
Doug

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, so here's some of what I am considering for demos at this point. Lots of metalsmithing related to engraving.

If there are only a dozen people there are different options, more than a dozen and we have to do these outdoors. Some things are practical outdoors and some not.

Keep in mind that these are just ideas at the moment. Some are highlights of technique workshops I've given over the years.

100 year old tools versus modern day equipment? Display and discussion...

Practice plates? - done right, they can be little works of art on their own. Invaluable, to record your advances over the years.

Making castings? - take a mold off of an old practice plate of mine, and go through the process of making castings?

Making and using pantograph masters for transferring designs?

Some tool making? Hardening and tempering. Maybe matting tools? Trick gravers outta carbon steel?

A soldering demo? - maybe put together a rope edged concho or buckle. Overlays? Findings?

Hard enameling, as done on badges and buckles for example?

A talk on pricing? (not a boring one, cashing a bigger check after the job is done is always a good thing)

Fixturing? Bring your problem pieces and we'll solve them. Plus go through boxes of fixtures I've made over the years.

A western brightcut demo?

An inlay/overlay demo?

A background removal demo with 3 common methods? Maybe the 4th, but it involves acids - so I have to think on that one a little longer...

Finishes and patinas? Simple plating, maybe anodizing on titanium/niobium?

Simple stone setting?

Maybe some blanking or forming on the hydraulic press?

As promised - a bunch of tips and tricks I have never seen in any book or on the forums.

Maybe an engine turning demo? - depending on interest and logistics. We may have to haul a machine out of the classroom for this - depending on attendance?

All of these are subject to change or additions at the moment. Can't possibly do all of them - so ya'all have to post what you wanna see!

Let us hear what would interest you the most!

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The demos will be short, but yes there will be learning opportunities. You will definitely learn whether or not a particular "direction" is for you... or maybe best put on the back burner or farmed out.

For beginners (and maybe even long timers) the fixturing demo will have something for everyone. There are so many sizes, shapes and materials that offer the opportunity to engrave.

Given time, I could probably fill 3 days with that alone - especially making them... I engrave a lot of multiples where I need to get to the exact same angles on every identical piece.

If you are just starting out - this meetup is the place to see firsthand, hold it in your hand and get an idea of ALL of the possibilities out there. There is a huge collection of tools here from every manufacturer.

There will be some surplus tools and whatnot for sale too... not available from manufacturers.

There is no cost to attend, though donations to help cover cost of the meals will be accepted...

B.

Last edited:

dhall

Those sound like valuable demos. For me, I'd love to see them all, but I'd put these in the top tier: engine turning, mold/casting of engraving, unpublished tips/tricks, pricing, fixturing, hydraulic press blanking/forming, western bright-cut.

Thanks,
Doug

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK Doug, I've given those first priority...

30 days left. Got a lot to prepare yet. List of places to stay coming.

10 more people to add to the list up above tonight.

B.

Glenda Dixon
Marta Irvin
Mike Bray
Danny Frank
Dave Gibson
Bob Pearson
Plus a coupla 3 or 4 local jewelers, goldsmiths, silversmiths...

Last edited:

dhall

...and at some point, your address, so we won't get hauled to the clink as the newest vagrants in Stockton as we roam aimlessly! Ha!

Thanks, Brian!

Doug

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Doug,

For that you need to send your email address to either me or Rob Scott. We'll respond with all the info you need. Plus it's our crude method of counting attendees...

Yes, I know you can find the address and view the place from half a dozen satellites from 9 directions - but I am averse to plastering it all over the internet.

The day will come soon enough when everyone will have a chip planted in their forehead and won't need a phone, IPod, GPS or 10 gazillion HDTV channels anymore...

Or even need to physically travel anywhere anymore? But right now, I still value seeing and talking to real people right in front of me - preferably without cellphones and gadgets welded to them. (or implanted)

Stockton, what you read about in the news - mostly happens in the southern part of town. I am up in the north and in the county of San Joaquin not the city.

Fairly easy access from either highway 99 or interstate 5.

Rob: "ferrousoxide" robscott3843@yahoo.com

Brian: jewelryartschool@aol.com

Last edited:

dhall

Email sent to Rob...

Thanks in advance for all the work it takes to get this up and on its feet!

See you in a few weeks.

Doug

Wildgift

Hi Brian,
Im considering coming up to check it out, thanks so much! Just curious, how far is the train station from your part of town? Thanks!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The train station is little further than walking distance... maybe 7+ miles?. But if you figure out your arrival time we may be able to figure out some way to get you here.

Either somebody coming up from down south or some last minute errand that has to be run in that end of town...

Let either Rob or me know.

B.

Wildgift

Just curious, do you happen to have the names of any motels close by in the area to look into? Im almost positive I'll be able to make it up there. Sounds like a great learning opportunity for a beginner like me! Thanks!

Jim Disbrow

Hello everyone,
I'm a new guy and was just wondering if there is still any room at your Confabulation - or if new engraver's are welcome. I live in Southern California, but it might be a fun weekend trip. I have to work on Friday, but could possibly come on Saturday/Sunday. I just read about this and would still have to ask my better half but it sounds like fun.

I've been lurking in the shadows here for what seems like a couple of years, but I've never posted before. I practice my engraving a lot and sometimes it seems like I hit a plateau and cannot get any better. But I keep at it. I haven't posted any any pics of my work yet because I can still see too many places where I already know what's wrong. And I also hesitate because there are so many famous engravers that frequent this site I'm embarrassed to show what I do.

All the best,

Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors