Epic FAIL !!!!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some days it just ain't worth getting out of bed! Fourteen hours into your latest project and the end is in sight, all you need to do is a bit more polishing and then done. Except for one small detail.

This was my project for "show and tell" at Scott's this coming weekend. More than half way into the carving I noticed the shell's color layer was way too thin and had some cracks internally. The main carving was close to being finished but I was not happy with the shell material at all. I decided to keep going with the intent of redoing the same subject later on a better shell, but i knew that I couldn't finish it in time. Oh well, now I have an example of what can go wrong!

Attachments

• Broken-cameo.jpg
    Broken-cameo.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 405

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a dab o' gorilla glue will fix it right up!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't put Gorilla Glue on it. Use the stuff that's invisible and is as strong as the shell itself. Epoxy 330 Molecular Connector. I used to use this stuff for making intarsia cabochons. If you have a clean break, this is the trick. Just use some denatured alcohol or acetone to clean up the "ooze".

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the encouragement guys! Unfortunately, the glue idea isn't possible, as there is a missing shard lying somewhere hidden in my shop!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the encouragement guys! Unfortunately, the glue idea isn't possible, as there is a missing shard lying somewhere hidden in my shop!

I think I'd saw it out, and give it a silver backing with some small prongs and it could become a nice pendant or pin. Or, perhaps an inlay into another material.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
If only my failures looked so good.....

Still well worth keeping, and like others have said, if you want to throw it out, throw it my way....

Mike

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Doc,
It is a master piece crack or not.
There are many art pieces with arms, noses, personal parts, etc missing and I still view them as master pieces.
Your carving is beautiful and a pleasure to see.
Show it as is, fix it your way, but SHOW IT!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Sorry about that Mate! But I figured you were already up and stirring Down Under when it happened, so the profanity would not wake you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
doc: i guess we all know how you feel. nonetheless,it remains a quite lovely piece of art. nobody is going to bother looking at the area giving you grief.

Latest posts

Sponsors