jaeger barrel

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These are personal photos of the jaeger rifle barrel I had a Vegas this year.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
except for the weight, looks pretty enough to wear. marvelous looking stuff you did there. thanks for showing.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jerry,I remember seeing your beautiful Jaeger rifle in Vegas at the FEGA meeting,keep up the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

RickH

Wow, that is stunning!
Is the barrel matched up with a stock yet?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The barrel was blued in a furnace of my design. The furnace has six digital pyrometers inserted through a ceramic glass top. It was a six hour operation. It took me about a year off and on to develop that technique. It is very difficult to attain and get it close to even from end to end.
I have two friends that are engineers who helped me figure it out. This is a photo of the patch box cover on the rifle before the wire wprk was done or the finish was applied.
This silver is only .030 thick

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry,I need your address so that I can start shipping my spurs to you for blueing.

Overall, that is an overwhelming piece of art!

I just about replaced my 40 year old poster of Reba with it ! And then I got to thinking , how can I explain she's been replaced by a gun ? Heck,both are for FUN ! ;)

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jerry. I knew the fire bluing had to be proprietary, too much metal for traditional flame work. Outstanding work!
Bill

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Outstanding

One of the reasons I started on the engraving path was a gun similar to this that I stared at in a museum as a boy. Your barrel replaces that one as my all time favorite example of the style. If you don't mind , Was this a commission, spec or personal piece?
Layne

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne
I did not build the gun but gave advise on it. The engraving was a commission job piece by piece. I also cast the silver butt plate trigger guard and nose cap and made the molds for them. I chiseled the side plate the cheek piece and the patch box cover pieces. Some of the design was done by the gun maker James Schulze but revised some by me. I have been making 18th century guns for well over 50 years. Here is a photo of the left side of the buttstock. This photo is too large for here so I just posted the URL.
http://jwh-flintlocks.net/vegas-b-ls.jpg If you look hard you can see the wood carving . This carving is some of the best I have ever seen but did not photo well.

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had the pleasure of seeing it in person at LV. Everything about it is as good as it gets. Engraviing, inlays, wood carving.........fabulous Jerry. Bravo

Latest posts

Sponsors