SilAir problem

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My compressor isn't working. It's got plenty of oil in it. When I turn it on it makes a humming noise and the solenoid is clicking on for a few seconds then clicks off. Any suggestions? Or has it bitten the dust?

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bert,
Call 800-972-7668 and ask for customer service. That is the Silentaire phone number. I have called them in the past with issues, and they seem to be very competent people. You can also purchase a supply of oil at that number.

Les

PS: Note that they may be under a foot of water right now as, I think, they are located in Houston, TX. May have to wait a couple of days for the water to subside.

Last edited:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bert,
Call 800-972-7668 and ask for customer service. That is the Silentaire phone number. I have called them in the past with issues, and they seem to be very competent people. You can also purchase a supply of oil at that number.
Les

Agree. I contacted them a couple of times & support was very helpful. Well worth the phone call.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Same thing happened to my Werner. The advice I got from them was to:

1. (unplug)
2. Take the top cover off.
3. See the top of a vertical post. This post should spin easily by turning with fingers.
4. If it doesn't spin freely, dose with WD 49 and work with it until it spins. Once it spins easily with your fingers, recover and start.
5. If it spins freely, the problem is electrical and not mechanical.

Of course, when I spun mine, it started spitting out little aluminum pieces and that was all she wrote for the compressor. Maybe you'll get lucky!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've had a Craftsman air compressor for over 25 years never failed me,it's 50 feet from the shop and it the best silent compressor you can get.KISSudent J.J.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Just might be the unloader.
On my big compressor, it would fill the tank, stop compressing and then unload the pump cylinder setting the compressor up for a no-load start. After the pump stopped you woud hear a sshhhh when the unloader bled off the pump's pressure.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
From your description of the problem - Plus 1 for the bad capacitor.
Re. motor humming and clicking; my bet is that the noise you are hearing is the motor thermal overload tripping as a result of motor trying to start but unable to as a result of a bad capacitor ... easy fix ... I would replace the capacitor even before removing motor housing cover ... Most of these silent type compressor motors are submerged in oil (much like a refrigerator compressor motor) and the oil is VERY specific, so potentially "polluting" it with WD40 is a really bad idea IMHO ... Additionally, one more suggestion, make sure you get the exact replacement capacitor for the compressor, I would suggest you order from it directly from a SilAir dealer.

Latest posts

Sponsors