Introduction from a lurker

Bob Ryder

Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself I have been lurking on the site for some time, adding a few short comments. I have wanted to learn how to engrave for years. I was doing some research on scrimshaw, and I hit on this site, and its been mind boggling since. So I am excited yet apprehensive. So far, all I have done is read on here, sketch and buy Meek's book and a now a ball vice. There is so much nice work on this forum, and so much to learn its a bit daunting. I just need to remember, I don't need to learn every single thing there is. My plan right now is to learn enough to engrave some decent knives some day, maybe some rings or things for family and friends, with hidden aspirations of guns. (not without some training).

While financially not in a place I can buy the world and not willing to go to power stuff just to see, but can buy some decent stuff, I plan on starting by purchasing a ball vice. some already cut gravers. a handle for those that I can use a chase hammer on. an optivisor or something similar. some practice items, sharpening help.

I am struggling at the sharpening issue. I will have to get a better handle on this or it will be pointless.....sorry for the pun (no I'm not). Like some others mentioned on this subject, as I read Meek's book, its difficult for me to understand. I will have to retry. But I am concerned with this part.

I would also be interested in taking classes when I can. but haven't seen anything locally to Savannah yet. I have looked around but not found anything. If I'm missing that,,,, would someone please let me know.
I would love to find something for a complete newbie, but Ive learned many other things the hard way, so. I will do what I got to do.

I will give advance thanks to all that will help, and actually already have.

Bob

did I mention Im long winded...:tiphat:

Bob Ryder

next on my buy list I really would like a steel vice handle, I know I found them at one point, can not find them any longer, can someone point me in the direction. I will look more in the tips section again on gravers and sharpening. now that I have my ball Im overly anxious to do....anything.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
For now,go to your local auto parts or hardware store and pick up a"T" handle hex wrench. With a hacksaw cut it to a manageable length.

A lot of our engravers started out with a simple hammer and chisel.
Check out Weldon 47's awesome work.
He also has a beginner's class.
PM him for details. :hammer:

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Bob, You might want to try to make it to the Engrave In at Scott Pilkington's place next weekend. Many of your questions will be answered and many new friends to acquaint yourself with while being amazed.
Mark

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as for sharpening-- there's so many ways, tricks, devices, etc-- whatever you choose to sharpen with, use a way that your geometry can be duplicated, time after time. when learning, it's quite essential to get familiar with a given geometry. inconsistent tool points can be confusing. the "feel" for the tool is what you're striving for.
with experience, any geometry works, as you will know just how to hold the tool for proper cutting.

Bob Ryder

Welcome Bob, You might want to try to make it to the Engrave In at Scott Pilkington's place next weekend. Many of your questions will be answered and many new friends to acquaint yourself with while being amazed.
Mark

I have my son coming down for a visit, can't miss that. Where is this,,,engrave in?

Bob Ryder

as for sharpening-- there's so many ways, tricks, devices, etc-- whatever you choose to sharpen with, use a way that your geometry can be duplicated, time after time. when learning, it's quite essential to get familiar with a given geometry. inconsistent tool points can be confusing. the "feel" for the tool is what you're striving for.
with experience, any geometry works, as you will know just how to hold the tool for proper cutting.

I think thats the issue for me. so many ways. I can't say how many different ways I have seen. I just need something consistent, I agree. but I am not sure I even know how to get that one thing. I think a lot is,,, how much you wanna spend. what I don't believe is, I can eye this well enough.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
The sharpening part also got me, it is hard to do by hand, not impossible but a sharpening guide is the key link in success. I suggest you Google "homemade sharpening jigs for gravers". Do some reading, then Google the same thing and look at the pictures and go their links., and read some more. Making your own tooling is as good of a trip as doing the engraving, and with homemade tooling you get the satisfaction of knowing you "created" the system. You will also get to know the mistakes in your system so you can "fix" them.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Bob, the Engrave In is in Monteagle, Tenn. There is a thread on here about it, hosted by Scott at his place outside of town. For years I only used a swivel head bench vise to hold work and used chisels I made from broken taps, broaches and the like, free hand sharpened them as well. Any fixture or process to maintain repeatable points saves much headache and broken tips.
Mark

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Take it from someone who wasted literally years fooling around with homemade tools and hack job sharpening, buy a real sharpening set up. They are cheap enough. I use the Lindsay system, the GRS system is highly recommended here as well. You don't have to spring for a power hone, you just need something to give you CONSISTENT angles. If you don't believe me, I'll send you a box full of "gravers" I made trying to save a buck.

Bob Ryder

Bob, the Engrave In is in Monteagle, Tenn. There is a thread on here about it, hosted by Scott at his place outside of town. For years I only used a swivel head bench vise to hold work and used chisels I made from broken taps, broaches and the like, free hand sharpened them as well. Any fixture or process to maintain repeatable points saves much headache and broken tips.
Mark

Its interesting how, you have folks like you for a while did this with like, a knife and fork and ball peen hammer lol.. and then I'm one of those. I don't need or want an air graver but lord, I at least need a ball vice haha. the range here, is so large, wide and well, different. to funny.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Bob, you stated that you wanted a "steel vise handle". That is what the " T" handle wrench is , just too long to be feasible.

Latest posts

Sponsors