re-sharpenin question

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

How do you re-sharpen your graver when it needs ?

Do you sharpen complete V shape at the bottom or do you just re-sharpen primary heels,

I do the first one but wonder if it is necassary or not ?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I mostly use C-Max carbide gravers. I seldom need to sharpen unless i break a tip. When that happens, I have to grind the face and then the heels. When Using HSS, usually the tip isn't chipped, so just the heels gives a sharp cutting edge again. You have to be carefull because the heels can get too long, so even then, sometimes you have to sharpen the face.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Normally - no broken tip - I just redo the face back past my heels and then redo the heels. This is for gravers with parallel heels which I normally make narrow enough it's hard not to sharpen them away. If you don't break the tip it hardly takes anything to get the graver sharp again.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use all manner of gravers. i no longer change configurations on a graver blank. i have enough shapes/sizes that duplicating what's already there is a breeze with the sharpening fixtures i have.
there was a time when i would take a 90 and grind down to 70 or 60. then back to a 90. a real waste of time to do this.
eventually you should figure what works best for you and just go with that.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
If I have to sharpen one aspect of a graver I will sharpen every aspect of the graver. After all, it only takes but a couple of minutes with any of the sharpening fixtures available today. In fact, even using the old method (Described in "Tips.") it only takes a few minutes to refresh the whole graver.

Latest posts

Sponsors