Does it make that much of a difference?

Hillbilly007

I have several of the Lindsay templates and the 4 sharpening "stones" Will it help me that much more if I get the ceramic stone and the diamond spray?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Doesn't make too much difference if you're just starting out. You have so many other things to worry about. If you aren't bright cutting or doing bulino work you may never really need it.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I use a piece of Leather(Razzor sharpening Leather) and diamantine powder to polish my gravers it´s cheap and works fine for me

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Check this video out that I made awhile back which shows a small dual-sided ceramic stone that's very handy and pretty inexpensive and should work with your template system.

They are Spyderco Double Stuff Pocket Stone 303MF $30

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
If you are going to give the B.C. a shot and want to put a shine to your gravers, inexpensively, get a sheet of glass, some toothpaste and one newspaper.
Lay a smooth piece of the newspaper on the glass along with a TINY smear of the toothpaste .
Work it !

D Fulwood

Ceramic tile should work great. I sharpen my pocket knives on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup or cereal bowl. Ceramic can be anywhere from fine to course so he might have to experiment with several brands to get the one he likes best.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Why won't a piece of ceramic tile work?

the ceramic tile may be hard enough--- but i'd bet the grains in the stuff may be irregular in size/shape.
the tile is very cheap compared to a good ceramic stone, and i'd guess the stuff would not work. heck, for a couple bucks why not try a tile and see. i have lasered a few of these tiles. all i have worked with are too rough and textured to do such with. the surface would have to be dead flat, and very smooth.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
If you are going to give the B.C. a shot and want to put a shine to your gravers, inexpensively, get a sheet of glass, some toothpaste and one newspaper.
Lay a smooth piece of the newspaper on the glass along with a TINY smear of the toothpaste .
Work it !
back when i was much younger ( & stupid) i had run out of fine crocus. i smeared cigarette ash on paper, and found it worked rather nicely.

Latest posts

Sponsors