My $200 dollar Colt

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first attempt at any real metal work on a gun. It took all of the elbow grease that I have but it's almost ready for bluing.
This is the gun that I asked about a few weeks ago when I had to figure out the rust and blue remover procedure. After I stripped it and took it back to the customer he saw that the gun was rougher than he wanted to mess with and I ended up buying it for $200. I figured that there was no way that I could possibly mess it up any worse than it already was, and even if I did I could always put it back together and use it as a gun. Anyways, I think it came out pretty nice for a first attempt. I am waiting for a smaller file to arrive in the mail so that I can dress the slide serrations better. After that I guess I am going to try to do the bluing. I already fire blued the small parts and they came out great.
Thanks for looking.
B2.jpg B3.jpg B1.jpg A2.jpg A1.jpg

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After that I guess I am going to try to do the bluing.
For your first attempt, try Brownells Dicropan "IM". It's a one-tank job and for a gun that small, you can use a stainless steel pot. Instructions are easy to follow and after 4-6 passes, you will have a beautiful blue-black gun.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wilson,You did a wonderful job cleaning up the pitting and keeping the edge's nice and sharp on that old Colt.:thumbsup: J.J.

Last edited:

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
They did make a .380, but this is a .32. When I got this gun I was doing my research and it made me laugh to see how many different names this gun has. It's a 1903 model Colt pocket hammerless model M, type 2, .32acp built in 1908.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Are you going to cut it? I have one that I got from my Auntie. I'm waiting for inspiration. Until then, I keep it on my bench in the store, out of sight as my third line of defense!

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I am going to try to sell it first. If it sits long enough for me to finish my other projects then I may go ahead and cut it. I really wanted to do an art nouveau design befitting the time when this gun was made but I quickly found out Mr. Ray Cover already did one that was fantastic. The other 1903s that I have seen engraved haven't appealed to me. That could be because the factory took most of the prime real estate with the lettering.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Bruce, I didn't look at the slide, I looked at the serial number.

A 5 digit M frame serial number could either be 380 or 32, specifically this number being made in 1911 (380) or 1908 (32). Looking at it closer I see the barrel bushing so yeah, my bad. A lot of these oldies have had parts swapped out.... converted to 32 or 380 or back and typically done to increase value of a gun in better condition. The serial number should also be stamped inside the slide on the very rear of where the hammer flips around. If that number matches the frame then $200 is a fantastic deal especially with the correct Type I grips. I'm jealous!! :)

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would be jealous, too, if I hadn't just bought two. One is a 32 from near the end of production, in 95-98% blue with perfect grips, and the other is a 14000 serial number range 380 that was about 10% with garbage grips. I am engraving the 380, and just gazing at the 32! I would be all over Wilson's 32 if I hadn't just found these.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
1903_01.jpg 1903-02.jpg

After much trouble, I finally (after 6 months) got my pistol back. The bluer ruined the lettering on both sides so I guess someday I will end up cutting them again. It's got too much work in it to sell, so I gave it to my dad. He was not bothered by the lettering, but then he hadn't cut them 3 times already. Anyway took it out and shot it today. This is a great gun! I will be on look out for another one.:banana:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Dave,

You should couch your advice a little more carefully... if any of these guys has a S/O, he'll be in a world of hurt if he uses one of the stainless kitchen pots to blue the gun in...

Depending on the length of her fuse, (and how fast he can run) he may wind up wearing the pot - in place of a hat.

Brian

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Tim, it's a long and stupid story that I will summarize thusly. I did a favor for the owner of a gun shop that I do business with. During our conversation he found out that I was planning on bluing this gun myself. He said, "Don't do that, I'll have my gunsmith blue it the next time he is doing someone else's job." I said, "that suits me fine." and so it was. Well all of a sudden his long time gunsmith went off the rails and started doing some really strange things to the guns he was working on, and then he was fired. So my gun sat while they hired a new guy. New guy gets there a month later and says, that he was able to blue the frame alright, but he wasn't happy with the slide. So I had to wait until he got his act together. Eventually the gun was "sent out" for bluing, I don't know where. It was blued in Fort Worth, and they made it sound like it was the only local outfit that could do the work. After a long wait I got the gun back and the bill had been paid in full by the gunshop owner that I originally dealt with. So not only do I not know for sure who is to blame for buggering the letters, I can't really complain about the work because the shop owner went out of his way to help me out and I don't want there to be any hard feelings going forward. That being said, I intend to learn to blue my own metal in the years to come. When I do I will not be in this situation again.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
"When I do I will not be in this situation again."

AND you'll have built yourself another quarter acre size shop addition... for the blueing tanks, lathe, mill, surface grinder, presses, drop hammer, belt sanders, that new welder you've had your eye on and maybe even a CNC or two - or better yet a laser welder...

By the way, does ANYONE on this forum actually keep "vehicles" in their garage?

Brian

“A well put together unreality is pretty hard to beat.” ― Mark Twain

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Ha, yes you're right about that BRIAN. That's why I don't get in too big of a hurry. I just do what I can and occasionally stretch to do what I previously could not. There is soooo much to know about in this life you just got to keep studying and growing. But you already know that. It seems you've had plenty of irons in plenty of fires.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian,

I've seen pictures of garages with cars in them, but not sure if I really believe they exist, what with all the photo-editing software and such... although I do remember one day in the fall of 1969 moving in to a new house and the first carload of stuff was unloaded in the garage, but that was the last time tire treads ever defaced that particular patch of concrete, and they certainly weren't allowed to linger over night! Now that I'm thinking about it, before we were married, my wife did keep her car in the garage, but I cured her of that nasty habit right after the ceremony. I admit, however, that my affliction is nowhere as severe as yours. I do still have hope in my heart, but I just don't think I'll ever be able to catch up to you.

Best regards,
Doug

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
By the way, does ANYONE on this forum actually keep "vehicles" in their garage?

My vehicles share time with his bald bearded fellow who pretends to be an engraver.:biggrin::biggrin:

Latest posts

Sponsors