filling background jewelry

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not sure about this but I think that there is a epoxy type material that can be used to fill background to give the look of being enameled with powdered glass, fired in a kiln. I may be dreaming but I think I saw this some where. If you are a jeweler you may be able to correct me on this. If There is such a thing, where can I find it? I am asking because I have been asked to engrave an Air Force insignia. It would be nice if I could do this in blue.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one such product is called "ceramit". i think rio grande sells it. available in many colors.

Scottyd

I have had mixed results with Ceramit. It is hard to mix without getting air bubbles in it. I let it cure overnight at room temperature which lets the air bubbles escape. Then I put it in the oven at 200 F (if I remember right) for an hour or so. It doesn't get rock hard but has a nice gloss that will polish a little bit. It should be used in a recess so it is somewhat protected. It appears that some people think a lot of the problems with it are due To a shelf life problem. I have only used small quantities in jewelry. Mine is over a year old and no telling how long it sat on the store shelves. Try Otto Frei for Ceramit.
I have also used a UV-Namel product that seems to work better and gets harder, but there are limited colors and it doesn't get as opaque as the Ceramit. I am going to try using powdercoat in a toaster oven and see how that works. Lots of colors.
Scott

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I've never used the 'ceramit' product mentioned, but the guys who rebuild the golf clubs use, I think, a clear epoxy mixed with a 'color dispersion' to get a particular hue. A company called 'The Golf Works', I believe, sells these supplies. You may want to do an Internet search to see if they have an on-line catalog, and they do sell some interesting products for that particular endeavor.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
There is a similar product that rio sells that I think is better than ceramit. It's low temp bake on still but the part I like is there is a Hardner additive that will let you sand an buff the stuff.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have had mixed results with Ceramit. It is hard to mix without getting air bubbles in it. I let it cure overnight at room temperature which lets the air bubbles escape. Then I put it in the oven at 200 F (if I remember right) for an hour or so. It doesn't get rock hard but has a nice gloss that will polish a little bit. It should be used in a recess so it is somewhat protected. It appears that some people think a lot of the problems with it are due To a shelf life problem. I have only used small quantities in jewelry. Mine is over a year old and no telling how long it sat on the store shelves. Try Otto Frei for Ceramit.
I have also used a UV-Namel product that seems to work better and gets harder, but there are limited colors and it doesn't get as opaque as the Ceramit. I am going to try using powdercoat in a toaster oven and see how that works. Lots of colors.
Scott

hmmm tyvm for the info on the stuff. all along i thought the stuff was the latest & greatest. guess i have to rethink that !

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
ColorIt can produce amazing results. It's expensive but it cures with a blue dental light and there are a wide variety of colors and special effects colors. I've seen many demonstrations at shows and it's quite impressive.

ColorIt

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Colores is another option that Rio sells. Not quite as expensive as Colorit and no heat involved. Huge amount of colors available. I've used it a few times and it leaves a hard finish that you can sand and polish. More or less an epoxy based filler.

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors