homemade power hone

mobaiz

Hey guys,

Anyone here ever make a homemade power hone from a ceiling fan motor? Trying to figure out how to make one until I can save up money to buy one so any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help

Mo

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
MO !
Don't go to all of the trouble and DOUBLE expense.
Go to Steve's website and look under the tool section a and get one of Roger Bliele's "Drill Press Sharpener".
You can Google it for reviews in "The Cafe" and "The H.E.Forum".

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
J.Miller, that IS a GREAT idea !

#1- Fasten graver to the bottom of the garage door at the angle needed.
#2- Mount 27 whetstones along the door's track, fine, extra fine and ceramic.
#3- Hit the remote and in one pass, your graver is sharp on one facet.
#4- Repeat this process until each facet is sharpened.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
J.Miller, that IS a GREAT idea !

#1- Fasten graver to the bottom of the garage door at the angle needed.
#2- Mount 27 whetstones along the door's track, fine, extra fine and ceramic.
#3- Hit the remote and in one pass, your graver is sharp on one facet.
#4- Repeat this process until each facet is sharpened.

"I like it"..... and I was thinking of using one that was dismantled, your idea is much more practical! Kill two birds with one stone or should I say 27. :)

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
No matter what type of motor system you use, it can be gear reduction, belt reduction or a electronic speed control you have to have system TORQUE no torque and the hone will fall flat on its face.....If you have used light weight systems and bared down while sharpening on the outer circumference of a 6 inch disk and have the speed reduce you know what I am talking about.....A well though out design will have a heavy duty motor and proper speed reduction if desired... Carbide can be ground at any speed with no ill effects but accuracy is easier to get at a slower speed, hi speed needs a more delicate touch....Unless you have machining capability I would stick with the drill press method outlined by CARL on the Engraving Forum. It is a sound design and very reasonable and you can hone at any speed you want....

Bob

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
MO !
Don't go to all of the trouble and DOUBLE expense.
Go to Steve's website and look under the tool section a and get one of Roger Bliele's "Drill Press Sharpener".
You can Google it for reviews in "The Cafe" and "The H.E.Forum".

i believe the person you referred to is carl bleile . carl is rogers' brother. carl does some really marvy deep sculpting work. the templates shown there were developed by carl for the cuts he produces.

Latest posts

Sponsors