Question: transfer issues

tjmoore

Hey Sam. Was the acetone we used in school straight out of the can or was it diluted? I went to office depot..got some images transfered with laser printer. Used acetone and it won't transfer at all....not even a faint image

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
TJ: Straight acetone. If the images won't transfer it's either because it's not a laser printer, or if it is a laser, it's possibly a Brother brand. I've never heard of any brand besides Brother that won't transfer with acetone. Be sure it's printing black. Color laser prints might not transfer.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
After the class I took last year I splurged and bought one of the Cannon printers they suggested. I love it. I use it for all of my transfers.

BullDog

Awesome, that's why mine wont tranfer either. I have a Brother laser. I wonder if you bumped up the resolution or something if it might put more toner on the paper and transfer a little better??

Joe Jacob

I have had some success dumping out the original Brother toner and refilling with refill toner from eBay. That worked with acetone.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
This has been discussed before. I must have the only Brother laser printer that works for transfers. For some reason it doesn't work for others with the same model.

BullDog

I found another post saying they use 'lacquer thinner' instead of acetone with success with the brother printers.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brother toner doesn't use the same wax technology thatvthe others use. A different toner might work, but might hurt the printer. I use a cheap HP laser and a Kyocera and they both work fine.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've changed over to a damar varnish and naptha (1:4) solution with parchment paper. It allows for darker transfers and you can see through the parchment paper to line it up.

ahenson

My Brother printer does fair transfers, but nothing like the Canons. I found that if I lightly glue the edges down to the surface first, the print transfers slightly better. It works for light guidelines but again isn't near as dark as the Canon printer transfers!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
TJ: Straight acetone. If the images won't transfer it's either because it's not a laser printer, or if it is a laser, it's possibly a Brother brand. I've never heard of any brand besides Brother that won't transfer with acetone. Be sure it's printing black. Color laser prints might not transfer.
just my bleeping luck ! my first ever laser printer is a brother. i've yet to try it for transfers. ah , well at least now i'm aware. tyvm for the info, sam.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
This is the printer I'm using and what it looks like after a transfer. I love being able to scale and alter things in the computer. Sves a ton of time.
uploadfromtaptalk1432185089066.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432185115778.jpg

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Mike Cirelli'Transfer Formula.jpg I have a Brother Laserjet printer and have been very successfull using the Mike Cirelli's Transfer Solution (Damar 75% Lighter fluid 25%), parchment paper, acetone, and finish with hair spray. Search for other posts about it for more info. The pictured, 1 pint tin container has an enlarged custom label transfered for both sides. Been on there over 6 months with no loss of clarity.
Would buy another Brother if this one dies for transfers? No. I would by a Cannon just because it is easier. However the Brother is a better office printer. So, if your stuck with a Brother Laser, this is a solution that works. Thanks to Mike and The creator of the custom label. Sorry I could not remember who did the excellent label. Send me a note and I will give you full credit.

Thanks for a great forum Sam, and thanks to all the great people involved in the world of engraving!

Latest posts

Sponsors