First engraving on a firearm and a key chain fob

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Bought the transfers from Les Schowe at the Denver Collectors show this weekend and decided to try them out. I made a key chain fob for the girls teacher as a last day of school thank you present. I also tried out a couple more on an old shotgun we had laying around. This was my first firearm. I'll do the shading soon.

uploadfromtaptalk1432090310901.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432090336117.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432090543507.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432090607545.jpg

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Good stuff, neat & simple. Don't know about anyone else, but when looking at the first photo of the fob in the vise, with my eyes it sort of looks as if it 'moves'. Anyone else think so?

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Arrg, I used the TapaTalk app to attach the pics and didn't notice they were sideways.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Andrew Biggs

Hi neisha

Not bad at all with some nice clean cuts. :)

Take your time with the shading as that is what brings it all to life. If you have to, dab a little modelling clay or wax onto the design and draw in some pencil lines to help you.

Cheers
Andrew

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I did the shotgun after the kids were in bed and I can tell the cuts I was doing when I was tired. I need to make sure to get up and walk around on occasion because other wise I sit down and find hours have passed without me moving anything other than my hands. The good thing is my husband is super supportive of me engraving and cleaned the kitchen while I was busy.

Good idea with the clay, I have some I got from the GRS class fortunately.

Sam, my husband and I enjoyed meeting you as well, you do beautiful work.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Before you finish the shading on the shotgun, I would suggest looking at the casting very carefully to see how Mike engraved those designs. I think you will learn a lot from looking at it carefully.

You've done a nice job so far, but you are missing some critical elements. Namely the beveled bright cuts in certain leaf structures.

I personally learned more from looking at the castings than from just looking at photos or line drawings.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I see everyone survived the Denver show very nicely. It was good seeing everyone once again and of course meeting you Neisha.

Now here's another little trick I use while drawing on a gun. Like Andrew said you can dab the surface with modeling clay which I usually do. But sometimes I also with a soft brush put a little talcum powder on top of the clay and this matts it even more and makes it a little itty bit whiter. You might like it in order to see the pencil a bit easier. It also works if I want to touch up the pencil line I just brush on a little more talc and redraw.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nice. the scroll shows good, graceful flow. looks like you got good control of the graver too. thanks for showing.