Question: newby

tjmoore

got a quick question. this is all new to me, just finished week of grs training in kansas..it was awsome. now that im home. ive got a positioning vise. but i find the levers that you use to move it are awkward. so i bought a teflon pad to put under it like we had in school. it slides around great on the surface of my table. my question is do i have to have the turntable with that or can i just use my vices rotation and the teflon pad to move around?? thanks for any help

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I wouldn't waste money on a turn table.
They were supposed to teach you how to use it at the school ! :beatup:

Andrew Biggs

If you are using a microscope, then you will need the turntable because it makes everything so much easier.

If you are not using a microscope......then you don't need the turntable. Just use the vises rotation.

Cheers
Andrew

tjmoore

thanks

thank you very much andrew. i do have a microscope, so guess i need to buy the turntable. thanks again. mr cowboy....they did teach us at the school. to use the turntable in correlation with the teflon pad. my question was could i just use the pad.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
The pad works very well for making a quick adjustment to your vise positioning. I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not you choose to have a turn table. I will say that the turn table is really nice to have. As you work more you will figure out what you need and do not need.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want to stop chasing your work, I can only guess thats whats happening get a turntable, will make all the difference. I just cant believe grs would not show you a turntable, instead of the vise you have, your vise adjustable feature is all but eliminated with the turntable.

Saludos,
Carlos

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The positioning vise rotates. You dont have to use a turntable. My turntable is locked.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I just cant believe grs would not show you a turntable, instead of the vise you have, your vise adjustable feature is all but eliminated with the turntable.

Saludos,
Carlos

TJ was in my class and used a turntable and low profile vise.

TJ: If you don't like the lever system on the Positioning Vise, then lock its crown and put it on a turntable with a teflon pad underneath and you'll essentially have what you used in my class. It'll be taller and heavier to slide but it can work. Personally, for turntable engraving, I find the Low Profile vise easy to slide and fast and efficient, and I think it's a better choice.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
they did teach us at the school. to use the turntable in correlation with the teflon pad. my question was could i just use the pad.

Ah, that's what I get for being up so late on the forum, read it wrong, my 1 month old baby needs to give daddy a chance to rest at night.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Basically the positioning vise is a heavy vise with a built in turntable and the ability to recenter (position) without sliding. If used on a turntable its a heavy vise. Nice this is the heavy part. If you are doing gun engraving the weight will be appreciated when doing barrels. In either case,if you decide you do not like it, you can sell it here and get most of your money back to buy a different one. It's a great vice if you learn to use its features.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use the centering vise on a home brewed turntable. made it for less than 10 bucks. i used a heap of .25" diameter ball bearings. they were sold at gander mountain for slingshot ammo. if you try this, be aware- some of the ammo sold for such are not perfect spheres. they have a small flat on them and wouldn't work well for turntable use.

tjmoore

thanks

Thanks Sam. I have nothing but good to things to say about my teacher and the GRS school! Lol. It was awesome. Thanks again for all the help

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SAM, will the low profile vise work as well as the magnum when holding rifle barrels? The standard didnt wwork for me at all.

Latest posts

Sponsors