Micro motor advice?

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Folks,
Anyone have any experience with the Brasseler Upower 500 micromotor for back ground removal?. What is your recommendation for a micrmotor(35K). Many thanks in advance for your comments.
Cheers
Don

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the foredom micro motor. I swear by it. The nsk is excellent too but way more expensive. Marathon are junk.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Bert, I suspected the marathons were junk based on the price. The Brasseler is Japanesen and much more expensive, was wondering about their longevity and power. I currently have a Foredon flex Shaft but can 't see it being easy to use for fine work in confined areas. The Foredon stuff is quality and made to last , have to look into their micromotor.
Regards
Don

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have two RAM products micromotors. One is 35K and the other is 45K RPM. My oldest is over 15 years in hard wood carving service and I've had no problems with either model. For the price, you can't beat them.

JOSIAH HANLEY

i have 3 foredom all great! have a nsk i use 8hr a day for 4yrs now never had a problem also have a ultra 850 from grs all work great !

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert I thought you had a failure with your new foredom. Collet locked up or something.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have two NSK micromotors. One is 10+ years old and still going strong. The other is newer and is a generation or two old. The NSKs are expensive workhorse tools built to last. The benches in the GRS classrooms are all equipped with NSKs and rarely is there a problem with them.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The problem with marathon is that there is a huge gray/black market on their products. There are a lot of machines being sold with marathon brand stickers that simply do not have the same quality standards.

The NSK machines are fantastic. I've had 2 of them as part of CNC desktop 4 axis mills for making jewelry wax prototypes. They simply run and run and run....but the difference is an $800 unit vs $1500+ unit.

To get back to the OP question, I've not heard of the brasseler brand. Most of the micro motor tech is coming from the dental industry. You might find more information by consulting with your dentist.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My two penny worth - if you're going for a micro motor make sure you choose a brushless one. There are all sorts of cheapos mm's on the market now. NSK is definitely the best but hugely expensive. If mine were to pack up on me, I'd definitely be tempted by the Foredom.

Aurifex

I use a Saeshin Oz Black. Been great so far. I think they actually make stuff for Fordom. Jura the stone setter uses their components for his range of micromotors. NSK here in Australia is about $2500. Very expensive compared to the USA.

Friend of mine has a Marathon and agrees it is junk.

Jlepak

At work I used that marathon unit for a couple years (hundreds of jewelry repairs and thousands of stones set)and It finally died, ordered a foredom that was similar in price and noticed that it is identical to the marathon with a foredom logo on it. I would venture to say they were both made by the same manufacturer. At home I use an nsk evolution, I think if you have the cash it is well worth it. Very well made

Latest posts

Sponsors