Question: Chair

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I recently sought out a new chair to replace my 25 yr old back breaker. I was going to get Herman Miller Aeron (touted as best in the world) but, after trying them side by side, I chose the Steelcase Leap. It's been a month and I don't know why the hell I waited so long. What a difference a chair can make! as important as any tool on the bench, my advice, don't scrimp.

Looks like a great chair. Does the seat get in the way of the engraving vise? My Herman Miller chair seat is just too large for bench work. Can you remove the arms on the Steelcase chair?

EDIT: I just tried my Herman Miller chair again and the seat is too large for my setup and I can't get the chair's back in close enough for lower back support. My Office Depot chair is a task chair which has a shorter seat and adjustable back which works much better for engraving. The Herman Miller is a superb desk chair though.

truehand

No, Sam, unfortunately the seat on the Leap is quite long (which is good for my 6'7" frame) and would likely get in the way of your setup in the same way as your Herman Miller. Not sure if the arms could be removed but they do adjust right down and back out of the way. My vise sits on my bench, or a GRS vise shelf for microscope work, so I don't have a post going to the floor under it.
Herman Miller is a super high quality chair. When I tried them side by side, the Steelcase just felt better to me.. but the two are very comparable in every way.

Sam

Staff member
No, Sam, unfortunately the seat on the Leap is quite long (which is good for my 6'7" frame) and would likely get in the way of your setup in the same way as your Herman Miller. Not sure if the arms could be removed but they do adjust right down and back out of the way. My vise sits on my bench, or a GRS vise shelf for microscope work, so I don't have a post going to the floor under it.
Herman Miller is a super high quality chair. When I tried them side by side, the Steelcase just felt better to me.. but the two are very comparable in every way.

Thanks for the info. Believe it or not I found my Herman Miller chair for $125 in a consignment store. The Steelcase looks and sounds fantastic. 6'7"??? Holy smokes!! :shock: :eek:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks very uncomfortable for a long day of engraving. It's like a fat bicycle.

Sam

Staff member
Has anybody tried these style of chair

http://www.bambach.co.uk/

My Physiotherapist Recommends them

Cheers

Yes, I tried one for a few minutes when I was at Stuller awhile back and it was HORRIBLE. Sometimes I think people come up with different products just for the sake of being different. I would stand up before I'd use one of those chairs. There may be people that love them, but I'm not one of 'em.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you value your crotch, stay away from that chair. Had one similar and my crotch went numb after a very short time.

Bill

I use the saddle chair since a year now. and I can not sit and work in any other chair.
I have had three disk hernia in the lower back and stiff operated on one level.
So now I can work longer periods than before I got this.
It is as pneumatic engraving, we like different systems
so my advice is to try as many as you can.
For we are all different

BarryB

Update on the chair. I've had almost a year in it and still appreciate it very much. Good value and comfortable. My son is engraving in it now. He's 6'5", 270 lbs, and it handles him just fine. One adjustment to the height brings it back in line with my needs, when I can get him out of it that is... That has become a difficult proposition, we are hooked. Now have two stations set up, with two microscopes, two Gravermax machines, and we pass quick change gravers back and forth, so now I'm back in the old chair most of the time. The contrast is marked. A comfortable, highly adjustable chair is advisable, if you can take advice from a novice.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
One thing to look at when looking for a chair, is how many hours the manufacture says you can set in it constantly. That one listed is 5 hours. I would recommend finding one that is recommended for longer. They are built to be easier on a person while sitting for long periods of time.

Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors