Question: Chair

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Barry,
Wasn't able to find your chair on Staples web site, but I was able to pick up used steno chair at a sur[plus store for $20.00. It has wheels and 3 levers, hydraulic lift, lumbar and tilt. It works great and is light years ahead of the wooden kitchen chair I was using previously. Best 20 bucks I spent on this engraving hobby. When you are using a scope, being able to get the right height and being comfortable is pretty important. Good luck in your search, and welcome to the forum.
Cheers
Don

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
mr. hicks hit on a very important idea-- one must be comfortable at the bench. esp. when using the scope. much adjustability is highly desirable. the scope, seating, the ball vise and whatever else. your bench should be as ergonomic as poss. most commonly used tools should be nearest the engraver. part of this is adjustable lighting. many times such is ignored, tension headache from eyestrain is a pain in the butt ! don't ignore drawing skill. it's just as, maybe even more important, than learning to cut. btw-- welcome to the forum

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
In the early 80's, when I was at Bruce Beebe's place, he had a chair which moved about on sort of a 'boom' affair, of two or three pieces. Says he got it from a doctor's office, or some surplus place. Looked perfect, comfortable, and strong. Sometime, hospitals sell of their stuff at in-house auctions, so contact someone you may know who works at a hospital to see what, if anything, is going on. Circumstances can produce surprises. You MUST be comfortable, or your work will suffer, and so will you.

BarryB

Thanks Don,
I've been using the usual computer desk chair with just the up and down adjustment. I can see that it isn't going to take long to get tired of it. The chair in the Staples ad that I asked about is $90. I'll go test ride it and see how it feels. It's one of those things that will take an hour in it at the scope to figure out if it will work or not. That's why I wondered if anybody had one. I've read in the threads about chairs that cost hundreds of dollars that look very similar to this one. The advice to get one with the three adjustment feature sounds pretty good. Here's what it looks like:

BarryB

Thanks Ron,
Good stuff. I'll keep an eye out and find something that gives me as much comfort as possible. I don't want eye strain or stiff neck, or a bad back. I appreciate you guys for taking the time to share your experience. Exactly what I need.

BarryB

Looks like the chair in question has just gone out of stock on-line. It was in stock when I first posted. Bummer.

Checked local inventory and there are two in stock at a Staples close to me. I'll go sit in one tomorrow and report back soon.

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I buy them from used business furniture stores. They are in good shape and cheap.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
my_bench-sm.jpg

I have a 3-lever model from Office Depot I got years ago and I love it. They no longer have mine, but make one that's similar.

I also have a Herman Miller chair for my computer desk that I got dirt cheap at a consignment store. The Herman Miller is the best chair money can buy as far as I'm concerned, but the seat is too large for engraving because it hits the vise and turntable.

My engraving chair has a shorter seat and I can get closer to the vise. Keep that in mind when choosing a chair.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Don,
I've been using the usual computer desk chair with just the up and down adjustment. I can see that it isn't going to take long to get tired of it. The chair in the Staples ad that I asked about is $90. I'll go test ride it and see how it feels. It's one of those things that will take an hour in it at the scope to figure out if it will work or not. That's why I wondered if anybody had one. I've read in the threads about chairs that cost hundreds of dollars that look very similar to this one. The advice to get one with the three adjustment feature sounds pretty good. Here's what it looks like:

Barry;
Looks just like the one I have.
Don

BarryB

Thanks Sam,
I read about your Miller chair and it sounds awesome. I'm glad to hear that your bench chair is more affordable because I couldn't justify the expense for what is a hobby for me. Your tip about the length of the seat is exactly what a noob like me needs. You saved me from making an expensive mistake. Thanks! By the way, I've enjoyed your videos very much. Theyare excellent!

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have tried most all the chairs at Staples and purchased a drafting chair. It is higher and adjustable, but I still need the old one I was using. It depends on what I am working on. Sometimes the old just doesn't go high enough.

BarryB

I tried the chair and liked it. When my wife noticed that the regular price was $220, she was quite happy to let me spend $90 for it. I'm 6'3" and 260 so I was afraid the chair would struggle a little, but it seems solid as a rock. It is built well and easy to assemble. There are two knobs related to the back that are not even pictured in the manual. One is to select the back height out of three positions and the other is still a mystery. Tight or loose, it doesn't change a thing. The seat seems just right to allow me to get close to the drill press stand. For sure better than the one I was using, and I really like the seat angle control. It locks in any position instead of all forward or all the way back the way my old chair works. The back works like that too. Lockable at any position over its range. The mesh back is comfortable and the lumbar support is nice. I'll report back after I get some miles on it. For anybody looking at this chair for potential purchase, it's pretty good as far as a noob can tell, but the sale will be over in a couple days. Thanks for the help everybody. This is a great forum and I'm learning tons here.

BarryB

Ah, thanks Fred. I'll have to check on that when I get back from vacation in two weeks. Almost wish I weren't going now that I have a decent chair to work in. It's just what I wanted and the sale price made it an easy purchase. So far, so good.

truehand

I recently sought out a new chair to replace my 25 yr old back breaker. I was going to get Herman Miller Aeron (touted as best in the world) but, after trying them side by side, I chose the Steelcase Leap. It's been a month and I don't know why the hell I waited so long. What a difference a chair can make! as important as any tool on the bench, my advice, don't scrimp.

Sponsors