A long way to go, but I am learning, LOL

Andrew Biggs

Then you would be better off practicing something a little more worthwhile to start giving you graver control. Cutting a few squiggly lines and stippling a coin won't give you that.

What the graver can do is simple......it cuts metal. Doesn't matter what it is. 90,105,120 etc etc. They all do the same thing. :)

You would be better off cutting your drawings/designs.........this will give you an understanding of how one relates to the other. They are not mutually exclusive.

It will also give you more practice of cutting lines and curves. Practicing in a random manner won't help you much as it's just fiddling about. Practicing in a more methodical manner will actually further your skills.

Cheers
Andrew

Hillbilly007

Then you would be better off practicing something a little more worthwhile to start giving you graver control. Cutting a few squiggly lines and stippling a coin won't give you that.

What the graver can do is simple......it cuts metal. Doesn't matter what it is. 90,105,120 etc etc. They all do the same thing. :)

You would be better off cutting your drawings/designs.........this will give you an understanding of how one relates to the other. They are not mutually exclusive.

It will also give you more practice of cutting lines and curves. Practicing in a random manner won't help you much as it's just fiddling about. Practicing in a more methodical manner will actually further your skills.

Cheers
Andrew

I did this too, but I still need more practice on my drawing.

Attachments

• Flower2.jpg
    Flower2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Flower.jpg
    Flower.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 64

Andrew Biggs

That's much better :)

Yes, drawing is the hardest bit to get to grips with. You should aim for a 50/50 mix as one thing helps with the other.

Don't forget that the Meeks book and Ron Smith's, are full of free designs that you can practice drawing/transferring/cutting with. They will also help you develop your "eye" for design. They will also help develop your muscle memory when cutting so that you can actually see what good curves look like.

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Drawing is the most important thing when come to the art of engraving,learn how to draw if you what to be successfully even if your going to engrave as a hobby,many engravers when out of there way to take art class's. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors