Poll - Where do you engrave?

Where do you engrave? Where is your bench/shop/studio?

• Cellar

Votes: 48 14.2%
  • Garage

Votes: 40 11.8%
  • Separate room in house (office, den, spare bedroom)

Votes: 146 43.1%
  • Out building on your property

Votes: 58 17.1%
  • At work (jewelry store, gun shop, etc.)

Votes: 52 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 24 7.1%

• Total voters

Stan the man

I'm a new-bee so am just learning and getting started. A 20 x 25 air conditioned shed/shop is in the works where the shop from my garage will go. Starting from scratch will allow me to custom build an area for my engraving along with the cabinetry for my woodworking tools and other assorted equipment like my lathe. I want a place I can invite other engravers to come and feel comfortable.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone

I have a small business inside a shopping mall in Raleigh NC
i don't have any room at the house that i rent, 5 kids with 4 bedrooms...LoL
but we are in the process of building a new house and i will have a 14x12 shop next to the garage that will be dedicated for Hand Engraving and jewelry and watch repair. dirty tools like buffing and casting will be in the three door 40x24 garage.
here are a few pics of my setup

Elton29

I love this lesson and discovered for myself only a few years ago. It turns out that an engraver can be not only at home but at the same time making money on it. I would like to give advice to beginners. These are programs that convert raster images to vector, and vector ones to gcode. For example, free distributed programs InkScape, SketchUp, GBRLcontroller, Repetierhost, Cura. I learned this recently. Also, whoever does not have a laser engraver, I recommend starting with low-power (~ 500-1500 mW) lasers. I found this review https://www.bestadvisor.com/laser-engraver with a table of the characteristics of some available models and there is a description of the software that is compatible with them. Also to your 3D printer you can buy a separate laser. Then you will have a 3D printer and a laser engraver. In any case, the price will not upset you.

I'm new on this forum and am glad to share my experience and learn something new myself.

https://www.ixbt.com/blogs/uploads/images/00/98/40/2016/07/13/c69d72.jpg

Last edited:

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, my primary work space is a 10 x 12' room in an old outbuilding which I insulated and finished with windows on the east and south sides. It contains all my jewelry and engraving equipment, books and an extra bench for jewelry student use. The adjacent room is a multi-project space with woodworking tools and bunches of "miscellaneous stuff". I also hand built a jewelry bench and engraving bench into the back of our 28' 5th wheel, so I can entertain myself when we are on the road.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a separate bedroom upstairs for my studio and library, about 12'x14', plus another bedroom (14'x18') where I keep my modeling stuff and gunsmith equipment. There is still one bedroom available for anyone visiting.

Latest posts

Sponsors