Ring

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Tonto,
By without optics, you mean he needs glasses ? :cool:

I think you oughta do a little history lesson before someone gets on their high horse about your symbol, since most palefaces don't realize this was a symbol of your people way before Hitler slithered out from under a rock.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I think you oughta do a little history lesson before someone gets on their high horse about your symbol, since most palefaces don't realize this was a symbol of your people way before Hitler slithered out from under a rock.

I believe it depends on the direction the symbol faces. An Indian polisher I worked with (read Subcontinent not First Nation) drew the symbol for good luck on his mops before working with them.

Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've seen the symbol on old Chinese carvings but 99.9% of the world will see it as a Nazi insignia.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Roger B
As to orientation, I've seen the Nations version both ways.
Out at the High Noon auction, a western collectibles auction, there was a big fiasco until the folks were educated as to it's origins over here.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Although not thoroughly having researched the matter, the common WWII swastika originally, in another culture, was reversed. From India, I think the terms 'sva', and 'sti' pertained to the reversed symbol. Later, for some reason, having to do with the Sun, allegedly, it was reversed from the Indian depiction and became WWII symbolism. Research will probably result in as much confusion, as ever, but the symbol does have a factual origin and interesting history, thereafter.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I'm thinking (Oh, $&%-) that it was an East/West, N/S, sorta good luck doodad.
Maybe Tonto will give us his interpretation.

Aurifex

I saw a program on TV about a Roman villa unearthed in the UK. Mosiac floors intact and quite a few of those symbols where on the edges.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The swastika, which was known as a fylfot in earlier times has its roots in ancient Greek ornamental work. It was often found in Greece and Rome in running fretwork. http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/oxford/Oxford_Architecture/0198606788.greek-key.1.jpg

Prior to the rise of Hitler. the US 45th Infantry Division soldiers wore the symbol on their uniforms as it had a good luck connotation. In the late 1930s the division changed their patch from the swastika to the Thunderbird. http://www.m38a1.com/misc-mv/thunderbirds.htm

Regardless of the history of the symbol, its use will usually sidetrack a discussion of the item the symbol is used on to a discussion of the history of the symbol itself as it has done on this thread.

BullDog

I have researched the symbol to some degree. Some researchers claim its' orgins to be over 11,000 years ago in what is now known as the Ukraine. The word 'swastika' is actually from the Sanskrit and means - 'well being'. All that aside, this is simply an indian head ring and I added some indian symbolism to it. This is maybe my second project since the great and powerful C.J. Allan imparted some of his wisdom to me a couple years back.

More to come soon and thanks for the kind comments!

BullDog

Latest posts

Sponsors