Question: original style gravermax ?

kuzcokelly

I've read A LOT and come to the conclusion as a novice it will be a time before I would notice the difference in the units themselves. I bought this in hopes it would be a good place to start. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake but I thought a first edition GRS system would be better than a flex shaft or any kind of knock off.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You made a good solid first choice. If/when you decide to move to a different system, you will likely recover your investment without a problem.

These older machines were & still are - close to bulletproof.

I first hand pushed for 10 years, then used the Meister (Serial #237) and then the Max for 12 or 15 years...

Brian

kuzcokelly

I don't know if you can tell from this picture or if you can blow it up but it is coming with 5 hand pieces.I know one is the high speed rotary hand piece. Do the others have specific purposes?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's too hard to tell from the minuscule picture what hand pieces you have. If it's a really old unit some of the hand pieces may be awkward to get used to. The really old ones were shaped like a cigar. I have 2 of them. A large and a small.

It wasn't until I bought a 901 and a monarch, both look like traditional gravers, that I was really comfortable with the pneumatic tools.

You made a good choice for a startup set.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Of course the photo you posted is ridiculously small and almost impossible to see, but if you do have an old Gravermax you have a hard working classic that'll outlive all of us.

I shot this photo of one last year in a shop in Wichita which was sold to the owner by its inventor Don Glaser. It's one of the first production units from the early 80s and is still going strong and has never been repaired.

kuzcokelly

Gravermax handpieces

I finally figured out how to enlarge the picture of the Gravermax and add pictures of the hand pieces. Sadly I am not computer savvy.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 167
  • $_57 (1).jpg
    $_57 (1).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 167
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 167

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Those are all solid handpieces. You have plenty of range there from light to heavy.

I still have the rotary tool too... and a replacement turbine. but so far it's never needed it.

Anyone know the aprox. production dates for the silver, blue & black Max models?

When did the innards change? Mitch?

B.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I'm using my OLD, but GOOD, Gravermeister without a problem. At some point, in the future, if you wish to update and wish to sell the entire ensemble, I would be interested in its purchase. Hopefully, sufficient funds will, somehow, appear.

kuzcokelly

I finally got a chance to test out the Gravermax today. Tuned out the hoses inside were all dry rotted and busted when I put air to the unit. After a little research online through pictures I was able to replace all the hoses inside the unit and it runs like a champ! Very pleased...Does anyone possibly have an old owners manual from days gone by I could acquire or know where to get the original manuals? I'm guessing GRS sells the replacement hose to replace the one I butchered to make the new innerds, Thanks all, Kelly

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can download a manual online.
Manual
Vinyl hose from a hardware store will work fine. Somewhere about an inch from the pressure gauge there was a clamp on the old hose. Inside the hose there was reducer to keep the gauge from fluctuating. The machine will operate fine without it but the gauge will bounce more.

Latest posts

Sponsors