Question: advise!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
grs is the better of the systems, as it will do ANY GEOMETRY. the lindsay is a bit easier to use, but each geometry requires a dedicated template set. i have a grs power hone-- i think i have used it for nearly 40 years. as to new or used ??? only you can make that decision based on your cash situation. check our buy & sell section at the page top.

thing 1

hi thing 1 says i have no job now and more time started engraving with my tool engraver from work on some old single shot guns i had just printed stuff taped them on then pecked away people loved them and now i would love to learn more have been watching you tube did a few coin face make overs into skulls. well now looking to run with the big boys now so to speak so are you saying that the grs systems will gut me thru steel on most gun work and did any one else find this stuff so much fun to do also?? thanks again for your time on this ,,newbe // thing 1

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the others have said:

The GRS Dual Angle is absolutely universal. You can grind any geometry with it. The only thing is that it can be tricky to figure out how to grind a particular point. If someone is near you they can show you how to use the Dual Angle in about 10 minutes. If not, read some tutorials (like the ones Sam has here on iGraver) and watch a couple of videos. Standard V gravers and flats are pretty easy to do.

The Lindsay Template system is almost foolproof. But as noted, the trick there is that you can't grind what you don't have a template for and you're limited in how much variation you can do to a point. One tip for using the Lindsay system is to do the face of the graver first so you have an idea of the final orientation.

The other question you haven't really asked is what you're using to do the sharpening. The GRS PowerHone is the standard for a reason, but Tom White has his own version that goes a lot faster for when you're doing the initial shaping of a point. Some day I'll get one of Tom's units, but only for the time savings.

The Lindsay set of manual stones works great with the templates, ok with the Dual Angle system, but can get really tedious for shaping a graver. Tip: to use the GRS PowerHone with the Lindsay templates you just need to put something under the plate for the Lindsay system. A taped together stack of scrap paper (or light cardboard) works well and can be set to a very precise height.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
First question - What do you intend to engrave? That will narrow things down.

Second - Will you be trying to make income from it? Also narrows it down some more.

Third - Where on the planet are you?

I just got a quick lesson on what shipping stuff to Australia and Germany from the US actually costs!!!

If you are not here in the US that may be another consideration...?

Brian

Thank you all for the good advises.

I am engraving jewelry, and I am getting I to guns and knifes, this is fun stuff. I live in oklahoma. I have $700 buget, I need to get some more engraving done :)

Last edited:

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Although a learning curves is involved bench ceramic/ diamond stones work as well, at least for flats, 90's & 120's. I use a 10x loupe to check the angles. Another option if on a budget.:hammer:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are planning on making a living at engraving id pick the one that has the largest customer support team. Id hate to need help when a one man shop is on vacation

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
That's like saying mass produced is better than sole authorship.
Read past posts on trying to get problems solved with the "Big Guys"! They have perfected " Pass the buck", whereas at Tom's one man shop, "THE BUCK STOPS HERE !"

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom's one man shop needs to put up signs, send emails or otherwise notify clients in advance when he takes a much deserved vacation - or goes on a walkabout.

Far enough in advance for clients to plan around it. They won't all do that, but humans in general are genetically programmed to ignore warnings...

And emergencies or last minute jobs will always happen. "You cannot please all the people all the time."

Brian

And if it's something vital that you depend on - well, that's why they invented the "Plan B - BACKUP". (Carlos hasn't started on the backup tool collection yet... and certain items need a backup for the backup)

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I have one of Tom Whites sharpening machines, it's beautifully made and works great. Have not needed any kind of service thus far. Don't be swayed by the size of the company.
Cheers
Don

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I am making 600-1000 a day and Tom is on vacation, then a potential failure is expensive for me. I've never had a problem with service from GRS. In fact when I caused a massive system failure they had me back.up in two days. If someine is having issues with them, they need to get GRS on the phone and ask for help. They bend over backwards to do so. Tom is great, but GRS never has the whole company on.vacation.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Im a lindsay user most of the time, Steve has good customer service, but i can attest to what Gerry went through 100 percent meltdown, GRS had him up and running within the week to include shipping time.

If your a part timer its probably not an issue but if you have deadlines that must be met.

Saludos,
Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Never had that problem. But I am in a unique situation. I've just sold a few tools on the Buy/Sell for example...

Still have 8 power hones, around 40 blocks (if you include my dwindling collector pieces), the famous surplus 20 GRS handpieces that I haven't gotten around to listing yet, more than a dozen complete Lindsay setups, 10 scopes, etc.

So, my backups have backups which have backup ad nauseum... This took 40+ years to accumulate. Carlos might have a little ways to go yet - to catch up?

The only tool that has ever "failed" out of the whole bunch was one of the original power hones - but it was over 30 years old and used hard. Got my moneys worth.

The motor finally died. I ordered a new one. Was kinda surprised when I opened the carton to install it.

Hecho en Mexico? Thought everything GRS was "MADE IN USA"?

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors