Question: Inlay: Fine silver or german silver?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I am working on a plan for engraving two Paterson Colts. The one thing that my customer wants most is silver bands around the barrel, cylinder, and recoil shield. There are a few examples in the books that I have and the captions say the guns are inlayed with "German" silver. Is this done because "German" silver tarnishes slower than fine silver? I will be inlaying the guns with silver bands, and wonder what flavor of silver would be best to use. The final finish on the guns will be blue if that makes any difference. Thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
silver is good. "german silver" is not really silver at all. an alternate name is "nickel silver". far different properties than real silver. though some use it in jewelry, i suppose as a cost-cutting measure, real silver is the way to go for most anything.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
WoWilson: Fine silver is best , sterling is a bear. Try starting out on practice plates inlaying silver and copper. Do not practice on somebodies firearm. Become confident with inlay techniques before attempting any inlay on a customers gun. You'll thank yourself for waiting and so will your customer.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
If you really want to stop the tarnishing, sell your client on inlaying platinum. It would cost more, but in that amount not too excessively, and it won't tarnish.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The softer thw better... .999 fine silver will be your friend. Other silvers will be tough.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
"German Silver" is nothing more than Brass with 18% Nickel content. The Nickel gives it that "silver" look, but make no mistake it will work harden quickly.