Help, please: fabrication question

jbrayout

Thanks to all the help that is given in this forum. It has inspired me to try and build a ring, problem is I have never seen this type of ring built. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
I am trying to build a ring that has the stone flush with the side of the ring. I see the prong setting is soldered to the top of the round portion of the ring and the sides come up to the top of the prongs. What gage of metal is used? What is the order of fabrication. Sorry but youtube doesn't have a video. Haha.
Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
PUSH IT !

Drill a hole using the same size "Hart burr", place your stone in the cavity, then push several prongs or use the GRS stone setting graver to build a bezel.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
For flush setting/ gypsy setting the metal must be at least the height of the stone so the cullet (bottom point of stone) does not protude. Some good books on the subject plan to try this several times before success. I think DeCamillus has a good video too.:hammer:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Take a ring fabrication & stonesetting class or workshop... they do exist.

And they are worth the money you'd invest. Think of the time you could save and mistakes you wouldn't make... in cash terms.

Brian

I got an email today from Rio Grande (RGJS) and they are starting some online courses. That's not as good as being right there... but, might be better than experimenting on your own: Rio Grande Online Courses

Latest posts

Sponsors