Critique Request Low budget knife

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
It's obviously an inexpensive knife, and there wasn't much budget or time, so this is what I came up with. What do ya'll think of relieving background and stippling right up to the holes? I thought it would make not stand out so much. Any comments welcome.

Thanks
Todd

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 386

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good, Although You could of made a compound leaf at the start of the large scroll or a flower to give the base more weight and fill in some of the background area, But with that being said what you did looks just fine too.

thughes

Thanks guys. Well Eugene, each scroll is supposed to be growing off of the head of the previous scroll, and coming out from underneath it. Oh well, that's why I asked for critique.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Your engraving is very good, and I can see what you were trying to do there, but I think it would work better if you had the successive scrolls originate under a leaf on the prior scroll and cross the backbone of the prior scroll. Look at some of Marty Rabeno's scrolls, and decide what you prefer.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like crap Todd. Just send it to me and I will make sure your friends and family never see it again.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
/the scrolls should come off the previous scroll like a car coming off a freeway. Not at a right angle., Other than that it looks great.
Rod

thughes

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Whew. if it looks like the scrolls are growing off the backbone at a right angle, I guess that design is a no go. I rekon I should have gone over the top instead of under.
Dale, I'm sorry I don't remember the model number of the knife, but it's a nice little knife and cut pretty good.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you go to the second last thread I started by clicking on my name and going into the profile... there is a folder there I did the other day. While I am not overjoyed with my design on that one... you can see that adding some leaves to the outside of the scroll will help break it up and it will be much easier on the eyes.

Don't throw it out mate.... there is lots of good stuff there... keep at it. I have seen it done where the scroll doesn't quite flow off the back of the last scroll as much as come out of or behind it but the leaves make it look like it does. Do several drawings of the same or similar design just changing what angle they come off at... with leaves... Sam Welch sweeps them off further back than anyone I have seen... it's a look his own but doing that is a matter of personal taste... listen to the criticism on here... it's meant well and can really help you move forward so much faster than trying to work everything out alone. Keep drawing... keep cutting... keep picking apart what it is about so now so's engraving that you really like... pull them to pieces and reverse engineer it until you see it like it's simple and easy. I like what you have done... I would add a couple of leaves and leave it... you can fade out stippling but practice it on some scrap first

thughes

Dani and all,
Thanks very much for your thoughts. No worries on the criticism, I wouldn't put it out there and ask for the critique if I didn't want it, it's all good. It was just an inexpensive knife that I was handed with literally a couple of hours to put something on it before a party. I thought I would try some things that had been ratteling around in my brain for a while. Obviously, since folks think I've got scrolls growing off at right angles from each other, they just might not have been some of my better ideas. HA! Oh well, I did the best job I could cutting it. Live and learn, and I'll probably not go down that path again.

Thanks again.
Todd

Latest posts

Sponsors