Critique Request What can I make to make it better

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
my last engraving

Hi,

This is my last engraving and I really want to hear your comments to make it better

Best Regards

Attachments

• 10498559_1839458709612755_1890850698309587548_o.jpg
    10498559_1839458709612755_1890850698309587548_o.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You have a really nice start on your adventure into engraving. your design is very good as is your shading. Areas that need study and improvement would be in varying your line weight, rotating your tool to achieve depth and deepening your background. good work though, congratulations - Fred

Andrew Biggs

A very nice job indeed. Looks great!!!! You have very nicely formed scrolls and some really nice leaf shapes going on there. It is well balanced and looks good.

You have engraved some big scrolls and there is nothing wrong with that. The way it looks at the moment it is very bland so you can, if you want, add some more life to it.

This would be achieved by intensifying the deep shadows with extra shading lines.......you could also darken your background to add more contrast.

Another thing you could do is when you come to the end of a leaf........roll your graver over a bit towards the inside of the leaf. This will also add a bit of life to the cuts.

This looks very pleasing as it is and is a very good job.........what I have suggested is only adding a bit of finesse to it.

Well done...........your doing really well. Keep it up, keep observing and keep cutting. :)

Cheers
Andrew

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
A very nice job indeed. Looks great!!!! You have very nicely formed scrolls and some really nice leaf shapes going on there. It is well balanced and looks good.

You have engraved some big scrolls and there is nothing wrong with that. The way it looks at the moment it is very bland so you can, if you want, add some more life to it.

This would be achieved by intensifying the deep shadows with extra shading lines.......you could also darken your background to add more contrast.

Another thing you could do is when you come to the end of a leaf........roll your graver over a bit towards the inside of the leaf. This will also add a bit of life to the cuts.

This looks very pleasing as it is and is a very good job.........what I have suggested is only adding a bit of finesse to it.

Well done...........your doing really well. Keep it up, keep observing and keep cutting. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks a lot for your valuable comment

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with what has been written before me, but I would add that your shading could be improved. Several of your lines have wandered from the straight (curved gracefully) to overlap and muddy the lines next to them. You don't do this on all of your leaves, so I am assuming that you got hurried in places and did not give those spots the necessary amount of care. Slow down and let it take as long as it needs to to get the perfect shade line.

You are doing well, just keep an eye on this one area.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say the biggest thing you could do is really work on beveling your cuts. If you use a 120 or the Lindsay calligraphy point its very easy to get really nice wide bevels. This one thing will really add dimension to your engraving.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Looks great, but don't forget borders they help set your work off and give you a place to build off. but you have achieved a very nice look with out them.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bevel your cuts and taper the startup of your outline cuts. You're entering the metal very abruptly as opposed to a graceful taper.

This is good work and better than a lot of what's posted here.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
To repeat a common thread of advice from those above: you are cutting simple "lines" in metal. Without bevel cuts, cutting light to heavy and flaring each line you cut, your excellent scroll composition falls artistically flat. Like writing a good story, you must add interest and inflection to these graver cuts!