Question: Pietta Colt Paterson replica, anyone cut one of these?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I have a client that wants me to cut a matched set of these guns. Have any of you cut one of these? If so how was the metal to cut? Specifically in the recoil shield area. Thanks:thinking:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a general rule, carbon Steel Italian revolvers cut like butter. Pietta revolvers or parts made of stainless steel can be a real problem in my experience.

I once engraved the cylinders of two Pietta replica Remington cap & ball revolvers without the need to resharpen my graver.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I've found them to be a pleasure to cut also. Only one time I had to anneal a real case hardened hammer and a loading lever. You"ll know real quick when you get hold of case hardened parts.

Last edited:

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Michael, after you annealed the parts how did you re-harden & case color again?

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Mtlctr, I have a heat treat furnace. Don't want to hijack thread, so quick answer is traditional method wih bone charcoal, wood, crucible and quench. Would be happy to explain my very limited knowledge on another thread.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Michael, that's neat to have a furnace for the work. I was curious only having done the basic heating , quenching, etc with a torch.
Wilson, please post pics of the finished product.:hammer:

Latest posts

Sponsors