Whaitere ~ The Enchanted Stingray

Andrew Biggs

Attached are photos of a watch I engraved recently for a client.

The engraving tells the story of Whaitere, the enchanted stingray which has a special meaning for the client that ordered it. So the challenge was to take all the elements of the story and put them together. Tangaroa, Hinemoana and the Magrette logo are on the lugs

Whaitere is portrayed at different angles on the top of the watch, the buckle and the rotor. If you look closley on the rotor, the overall face of Whaitere has another four faces incorporated into the design making up five faces in total.

You will also note the shading lines on the outside of the designs of the rotor and buckle. This was to give Whaitere a sense of movement so that he is not just standing still.

You can read the full story of Whaitere at this link.

The Watch is a Magrette Lioncino which is a beautiful watch to engrave. You can view it here.

The Strap is by Pepa, owner of SPI Straps.

The Photos were taken by the client and he has kindly let me use them. He also wrote about the whole process and posted more photos on a watch forum at this link.

It was a fun and interesting project and the client was great to deal with. A real pleasure all round.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• 007_zpsgtueqhjn.jpg
    007_zpsgtueqhjn.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 413
  • 220_zpsjo8ffck8.jpg
    220_zpsjo8ffck8.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 218_zpspipcuq2r.jpg
    218_zpspipcuq2r.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 448_zps1im0bbzz.jpg
    448_zps1im0bbzz.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 314_zpsm3g3blrt.jpg
    314_zpsm3g3blrt.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 006_zpsnc9texti.jpg
    006_zpsnc9texti.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 309_zpsnom0htnb.jpg
    309_zpsnom0htnb.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 413
  • 317_zpswqrzovav.jpg
    317_zpswqrzovav.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 557_zpseaxizs4j.jpg
    557_zpseaxizs4j.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
FANTASTIC Andrew!! You're taking engraving where it's never been before. I really love your work.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. I particularly like the background on the buckle; it looks cast.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great look there ! sculpted as well. your stories remain interesting as well. thanks for showing.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fantastic, as always - both design and execution!

One question: what geometry are you using to get those very clean, very deep (looking) lines on the rotor? In particular where you're cutting the nice spirals. Obviously it's a very small graver, but you're getting a very deep looking line. A 70 perhaps?

Andrew Biggs

One question: what geometry are you using to get those very clean, very deep (looking) lines on the rotor? In particular where you're cutting the nice spirals. Obviously it's a very small graver, but you're getting a very deep looking line. A 70 perhaps?

Thank you for all the likes and nice comments. Much appreciated :)

All of the cutting I do on the watches (and everything else these days) is with a C-Max 1.8mm round 105 parallel heel sharpened with an EasyGraver..........the parallel has a tendency to want to cut a bit deeper than a normal heel. With the parallel heel you also get less heel strike which is important on particularly small work. From memory the rotor is about 0.25mm thick maybe (???) It was very thin.

The C-max is just wonderful on watches as the 316L is a bit tough and gummy. For the main cuts I add an extra small face at 55 degrees and very slightly dub the point. For shading I just leave the face as it is and no dubbing of the heel because for shading you need a razor sharp graver. The funny thing is that on some watches the polished heel works better than a 600 finish and visa versa. .........I have no idea why but it seems to be the way of it.

I think its important to get as deeper cut as you can on wearable items like watches and jewellery. That way the engraving will last forever. If it's to shallow it wears over time. You only have to look at some of the older engraving to see that. And of course the metal itself will dictate a lot of the wear and tear over a lifetime.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors