Smallest Air compressor for hobby engraving?

Goldmanglass

The last thread got a bit long so I thought I would focus my question to air compressors and see what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

So what is the smallest air compressor you have or think you could get away with for working just a few hours at a time? One that is also quite. It seems some people who aren't looking for a super professional setup have gotten away with an airbrush compressor. Any specific recommendations? I have a very small amount of space for this hobby unfortunately.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the gravermeister can solve the problem. it utilizes its own onboard compressor. a series of graphite vanes does this quite efficiently. if you shop around, a bargain can sometimes be had for a used one. these old machines have proven reliability for several decades.
the lindsay, tho very reliable, is a bit pricey for a hobbyist. it works on very little air. however, a tiny compressor would likely run constantly to feed the tool. this tool also demands an oilless compressor. or a t least one with good coalescing filters between the compressor and the tool.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nickel carver Bill Jameson used a very small airbrush compressor with a Gravermax for a long time before eventually getting a larger compressor. It might have been a diaphragm type.
I found a Paasche diaphragm airbrush compressor in a junk store and bought it to test and it also worked on my Gravermax. It was really old and died after a few hours, but I don't engraving killed it. It was just older than dirt and diaphragm compressors are tankless and run continuously. I should have rebuilt it.

So I think the short answer is yes, they will work, especially with a 901 or Monarch handpiece. Use the larger GRS handpieces and maybe not. Is one of these small compressors a good choice for GRS systems? I don't know for sure but the question comes up a lot.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Refer compressors are designed to have oil run through them and will work in a vacuum environment.....Using them as a air source would give you oily air, I would think.... The vacuum pump application I used in my early days did not last very long.....

Bob

Sponsors