Question: Need opinions on choice of onglette metal

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've never been a fan of onglettes, as I can never keep a point on them for very long. I see that GRS now has onglettes in Glensteel and C-Max metals. What are your opinions on which would hold a point better in most cutting situations YOU are familiar with? I have the same question for the new parallel side flats that GRS is selling. When hogging out backgrounds or cutting channels for gold inlays, which graver metal do you think will hold-up better? I know that C-Max tends to fail with large chips and the Glensteel will dull, usually without the "catastrophic" tip failures. I just can't decide on which are worth investing in. I know Carlos,... buy both sets!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Middle of the road for me has been M42 for the past 6 or 8 years - maybe longer? I forget.

Quit using anything "softer" like the older HSS or Glensteel about the time I discovered it and switched over.

Ever tried it?

Either of the 2 competing exotic carbide alloys (in name anyway - CMax & Carbalt) work well when you have a situation that calls for them.

Percentagewise I'd guess I use 45% M42, 35% carbides and the remaining 15% would be carbon steel liners on a general daily basis.

For onglettes I still use the preformed "yellow tang" Swiss HSS that I stocked up on years ago. (I can add. So these might be the missing 5%?)

Does someone still carry them? Gesswein, Frei or ?

As always, your mileage may vary...

Brian

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the yellow tang onglettes too. Stuller and Gesswein both sell them I believe.

I also grind them from blanks for certain applications. The carbide varieties will be more prone to point failure. If you have issue now, I'd steer clear of the carbide. It'll only be more headache for you.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mark

I have used both the C-Max and Glensteel extensively in both the flats and onglettes.

I would recommend the C-Max for jewellery type work where bright cutting is essential and the metal a bit softer.

Use the Glensteel for hogging backgrounds and gold channel work. You tend to be a lot rougher with this type of work and as you say, Glensteel tends to round rather than break catastrophically.

These preshaped traditional type gravers are great to use. I have found them to far superior to the yellow tangs. Make sure that you also have the new QC adaptor for the Dual angle fixture because they are round shanked. Once set up they make sharpening a breeze.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S. I forgot to add that for thin gold channel work you are still better off with a tapered flat over a parallel flat. For some reason it handles the tight curves better.

Last edited:

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Mark,
I was at GRS last week and I got the opportunity to speak one on one with Shane about all of the new gravers that they now offer. We spoke for over an hour and only scratched the surface [pun intended] of what’s available. New graver geometries, shank types, tool holders etc. Give him a call and I am sure he can answer your questions.
Dan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
C-max carbide is my go-to graver material for most of what I engrave. If I'm experiencing a lot of tool breakage then I switch to high speed steel gravers, of which I have every brand known to man.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all your responses guys! Brian: you know what, I have some M42 blanks around the shop somewhere, I'll give them a try. Andrew: that's pretty much what I was thinking. But I find it an interesting aside about the narrow tapered flats negotiate curves better. I've placed an order with GRS and will experiment with both types of graver metals.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
since i began this art, i've despised the onglette. a year ago i bought the lindsay onglette template. 3 weeks ago i sharpened one. it's a whole different animal. i was inspired to give it a try by looking at sams' spritzer geometry. without a heel, i love it for push work ! was made from an old mueller standard graver.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
The onglette is the perfect engraving tool for H&C and for hand push engraving,just look at the beautiful engraving that Frank Hendricks did with the onglette. J.J.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
The onglette is the perfect engraving tool for H&C and for hand push engraving,just look the beautiful engraving that Frank Hendricks did with the onglette. J.J.

jj: i was actually surprised how nice and smoothly this tool worked for pushing.i think it's nearly slip proof.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
You live close enough, you are welcome to borrow my Lindsay onglette template. I'll also make you deal on a c max blank, only sharpened and broken twice.

Latest posts

Sponsors