new guy

Skylineski

hi my name is Doug Jones and I'm thinking about starting engraving, i currently carve custom gun stocks and keep getting asked if i work on metal. i linked up with a local guy (Dan Gerdes) and got a short whats what but still not sure if i can swing the initial expense. i really think i want a Lindsay palm control, but can't find any used ones anywhere. i have a sil-air compressor and zeiss 4.3X-400 loupes. any advise would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any equipment for sale that is not on the buy/sell that they might be willing to sell please let me know. thanks.

Doug Jones
DJ Wildlife Carving

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
engraving can be done quite nicely on a "shoestring" budget. one can also engrave nicely on several grand worth of equipment. i'd suggest you take advantage of the information available here, free--- all you need do is read, take notes. look at videos, and etc. for those in a hurry to "break into" this art, hmmm. slow down a bit, and above all don't be fooled by the hi-tech tools. no tool will make you a better engraver, some will make you faster, but not better. thanks for joining, and just start looking around here. you may learn something !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just about the best first investment you can make is a class. If you can get one where they have both GRS & Lindsay equipment even better. True greatness if they have an EnSet

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Guys....
Doug is being very modest. He does great carving and is a retired military Explosive Ordinance Disposal member to boot. I'm just glad I ran into him at a local show.

Dan

Latest posts

Sponsors