The Dunning–Kruger effect

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Favorite lines, so far:

"If you're incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent.…"

"people at all performance levels are equally poor at estimating their relative performance".

Uh, oh... can't post the best line in there - without "consequences".

Ya'all better read it for yourselves...

B.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the better articles I have read from Wikipedia. Well sited and according to the references legitimate findings worthy of follow-up and further research. In this environment kudos and like comments are often given when work has genuine short-comings, The recent dissection of Bram's comments on another thread.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
That explains a LOT !
Or, as my Grandad used to say,
"Everyone is crazy, but me and thee.
And thou art just a little !" :confused:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
as i've always said, the one thing stupid people don't know is they're stupid.

also, the one thing know-it-alls don't know is they don't know everything.
a corollary: they know less than everything and others know more than nothing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
as i've always said, the one thing stupid people don't know is they're stupid.

Last night I posted a pic of that little kid on the movie SIXTH SENSE which said "I see stupid people...and they don't know they're stupid". Then I deleted my post!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
too many big wurds for me to onnerstan all that stuff ! i do know this-- i am a legend in my own mind !
aint sure about the rest of you.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting article. I read several years ago that U.S. and several foreign country's students were given tests in a number of areas. Although the U.S. students did poorly compared to the other nations, they stated that they thought that they had done very well. I have come to the conclusion that we have given our children more support for their self-esteem than we have given them information and knowledge as a basis for their self-esteem.

Herewith endeth my sermon!!! Engrave something! Do it well! Be better than you were last time!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Too bad an article like this is not required reading in the schools (at least the ones where they can still read)... but then you got the "self-esteem" thing mentioned above going on.

If it turns out Johnny can actually read... you probably wouldn't want him lookin' in the mirror wouldja?

When the kids nowadays (even a lot of adults) get into a situation where their pride or ego gets bent or even slightly singed - they can't handle it.

Instead you get screaming, whining, crying and a river of tears when "feelings" get hurt.

In our day there was no "political correctness" and both the joking insults and serious insults flew at you all day long...

You got tough, learned to toss 'em back, raise the ante with a bigger/better insult or ignore 'em completely.

But I suppose that there were always a few that never learned not to take life so seriously... and probably always will be.

B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors