Gravermeister for beginner?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is there a GRS system I can run off of a co2 tank? They seem much more cost effective and so far I have all GRS equipment.

Last question for now :) ... Are airbrush compressors sufficient for beginners??

I have both, GRS and Classic, they average out to be about the same price range, no much of a difference. Both good setups can go wrong with either

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I use a Lindsay Palm control with a paintball cylinder. I get about 7-8 hours use out of one. I did buy a California compressor. It is pretty quiet.
Todd

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have both, GRS and Classic, they average out to be about the same price range, no much of a difference. Both good setups can go wrong with either

He is living proof that either system can put out "heirloom" quality engraving.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a Sil-Air compressor and it cycles 5-6 times a day on average; that's working approx 8 hours a day using a Lindsay Palm Control and Classic which I use for stippling. By comparison the GraverMach I used too use would cause the compressor to cycle 5-6 times per hour. Lindsay definitely uses less air but I don't know how much engraving a day folks using CO2 tanks actually do? I wouldn't recommend tanks as a pro set up, a silent compressor is definitely the way to go.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Marcus, ever look into the commercial tanks I mentioned?

You gotta have 'em in bars & restaurants to spark up all that dyed, acid infused sugar water they sell...

Rent one. Test it out. Here you get 'em at the welding supply, Dunno about across the pond? Maybe a restaurant or bar supply?

Bet it lasts you maybe a month if they are the size of the one I have.

If you don't like it, or doesn't contain enough worktime to make it worthwhile - take it back. If you like it, buy it. Cheap to refill.

Some outfits even deliver them and exchange them out for you. (they can be fairly heavy and awkward depending on th size you get)

I use a compressor daily, but having that tank sitting there sure makes it a lot easier on me when Mr. Murphy shows up to play with my compressor or the electrical supply.

Brian

So you got over the "Angry Wasp" thing...? ;)

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a 20lb CO2 tank (about waist high) that I use to refill the 20oz tanks. Since I only use CO2 as a backup (like Brian) or for travel having a few 20oz tanks works for me. For daily use it's hooked to my compressor - just like my GRS setup.

The 20oz paintball tanks give 3-4 hours of real world use for the Lindsay Classic.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The thing is Brian, apart from a little less noise from the CO2 tanks I can't really see any personal advantage in running a CO2 setup for me. The agro of it running out and then having to reorder, or carry a spare tank in the limited space I have in the workshop, not to mention having to pay for refills, well, it just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. The Sil-Air compressor wasn't cheap but it's a great bit of and I don't travel around engraving, it works out just fine. If I was doing a lot of shows, etc, it might be something I'd consider; but as I don't I'll personally stick with the silent compressor route.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. I am also in Philadelphia, the Kensington section. But I don't use air power, so not much help to you.
Think there is only one other forum member in Philadelphia. The Lower Northeast. Don't know of any other active members in the Phila area.

You mention speed, and how non air power is slow. Air power is faster, but all the other work takes alot of time also. Metal prep, drawing and layout, transferring, sharpening gravers etc.

Maybe try out hammer and chisel if you haven't yet. Some people say they can work faster that way versus air power. But they are very experienced. Hammer and chisel will give you a good idea if engraving is for you without spending alot of money.

Hammer & Chisel is a muscle memory thing. but it is a whole bunch cheaper to start out. Beautiful work can be done with all the systems but much time still needs to be put in on the basics. No "easy" path so to speak. Good work is time consuming any way you "cut it". pun intended. good luck.:hammer:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have an airbrush compressor feeding into my old portable air tank I used when racing and it works great, cycles very little when working all day.

Bill

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My compressor is a little one GRS used to sell and it's life got a lot easier when I picked up a 10-gallon portable tank at the hardware store and plumbed it in-line. When it runs, it runs longer but it runs a lot less often.

Unless I use my 850 rotary. Then it struggles to keep up. But I don't use that very often.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was asked to post a picture of my setup but haven't had the time to take a picture and am away from my studio the next few weeks. The setup is very simple; the airbrush air outlet is plumbed into the air tank filler tube, then the tank's air outlet is plumbed to the PalmControl regulator. The only time it runs constantly is when using my dental drill for hogging out backgrounds.

Bill

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Goldmanglass, I live in the Philadelphia area. I would be glad to speak with you if you would like to give me a call or drop me an e-mail. Probably the easiest way is for you to get a hold of me is to PM me from this site or pick up my contact info from my website Engraver.com.