Gravermeister for beginner?

Goldmanglass

Hello engravers! I am very new to this world and got hooked when I started seeing Hobo Nickels pop up in some of my internet art searches. I am a glassblower who admittedly has the 'hobby affliction' and decided to give this amazing art form a shot. As a custom knife collector, I have always been enthralled by the precision and grace of engraving.

So far, I have a GRS ball vice, a Power Hone setup, a fully articulating microscope, and a bunch of gravers. I have found that this is an extremely slow process without a pneumatic graver. Plus, all the how-to videos all show one being used.

My question is: should I buy a Gravermeister since work space is limited and I don't have an air compressor, or should I spring for a compressor and a graverMach? What would the main advantages/ disadvantages be with those choices? Third option I guess would be to get proficient with just hand tools... Any advice for a newcomer?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and direction!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
4th option would be a Lindsay (maybe start with an Artisan?) and a commercial CO2 tank. The tank doesn't have much of a footprint. 10" circle on the floor?

The Lindsay itself has none. Just gauges mounted on the wall.

You can buy or rent the tank at places that supply the tanks to bars & restaurants. Welding suppliers also have them.

Unless you plan to spend a LOT of hours actually engraving that would be my recommendation based on the situation you described.

Remember there is is a lot of time spent just getting prepared to do the actual engraving. Sometimes prep (metal prep, design, drawing, transfer) takes as much or more time than the engraving itself!

Otherwise, yeah, the Meister would be one option. Be aware that they are not the quietest machine to run in an enclosed space.

I used to keep mine outside the room I worked in and ran the tubing through the wall.

Brian

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

My best advise would be a compressor and either the GraverSmith, GraverMax or GraverMach.......or even a second hand version of those. The Smith with a 901 handpiece will do everything that you ever want it to, and then some. The Max and Mach you will be paying for a few extra whistles and bells as you go up the ladder. All of which are handy but not necessary.

1. It is something that you will never outgrow and will last a lifetime.

2. ease of use over a Gravermeister.

3. A compressor is always a handy thing to have for other things as well. But if you go that way you will have to decide between a silent compressor or a noisy one, depending on your situation. Any compressor will do but a silent one is more money than a noisy one.

Or you could do it all by hand. It just takes longer. If you are keen to get going and have the budget for it..........then I would recommend the pneumatic.

Cheers
Andrew

Goldmanglass

Thanks for that!

okay so this was definitely helpful. The Gravermeister is pretty loud, huh? That's not good. Maybe CO2 tanks are what I should be looking for... How much time do you get out of a tank, give or take??
I am also doing this in my apartment, not at the glass shop, so no big tanks since I'm on the second floor... Hopefully the smaller tanks might still give me a decent amount of time...
Thanks again for the help!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Meister is not unbearably loud... but it gets to you after an hour or so. Depends on your tolerance?

On the other hand, truly "silent" compressors are not cheap, and that's what you'll need for the GRS products.

The small paintball gun CO2 tanks would be easy to carry upstairs - about the size of a large hairspray can - but the commercial tank I originally recommended, not so easy.

Haven't refilled them in a year or so, but it used to something like 3 or 4 bucks. If you bought a few of them and rotated them? They only cost you (once you buy them) when you actually use them and have to refill them. Should get years of shelf life out of them.

There are a coupla sizes available in the paintball tanks, and I think the largest among those will give you 6 hours average running time? Again, depending on use. If you are running full bore - carving or hogging out large background areas then expect less.

And, CO2 is perfectly silent.

Brian

Goldmanglass

I'm starting to think the GraverSmith and a small compressor will be the way to go now. Does anyone have any recommendations for a small, quite Air compressor now?? :)
Very excited this is all starting to come together!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not familiar with that compressor or it's noise level. Maybe someone else on here is?

Just looking at it, I'd want bigger than a 1 gallon tank - even for running a Lindsay which uses less air than anything else out there. With no "reserve" it would be running often.

B.

Goldmanglass

Brian, I didn't see your response before I typed my last comment. 6 hours on a paintball tank is great! Plus silent and small... I think this is going to be the way to
go if I do need an expensive silent compressor like you said. So what are my options in machines for running small co2 tanks? Just Lindsay?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Silentaire is the first one to come to mind. I have those and a "Panther" - which looks to be pretty much the same, just different label.

They come in various sizes. Google them if you are after a new one. Look on Ebay if you are experienced at that and want a "pre-owned" one.

B.

Goldmanglass

Is there a GRS system I can run off of a co2 tank? They seem much more cost effective and so far I have all GRS equipment.

Last question for now :) ... Are airbrush compressors sufficient for beginners??

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, you can run any of the GRS tools off a small CO2 tank. But not for long.

I'm not sure without going and pulling the specifications but you will definitely suck up the CO2! Quickly!

They just weren't designed to be economical about it - they gulp, Lindsays sip.

I also wouldn't go for one of those tiny imported airbrush compressors.

Certainly not for GRS tools. Maybe someone else has a differing opinion?

I have all the GRS tools here and I wouldn't even bother to hook one up to those dinky things. Nor a Lindsay.

I recall seeing 3 & 5 gallon Silentaire compressors in airbrush studios, so I guess they are "airbrush compressors" too.

In fact a student of mine who does airbrush art for a living - has a 10 gallon model Silentaire in his studio.

B.

Ummm, you might wanna go back into your profile and put up whereabouts on the planet you are located? You may have someone on the forum right down the street? You never know?

Last edited:

Goldmanglass

Okay thanks Brian, more great info.
I'm in Philadelphia by the way! Where is the best place to check who might be nearby?? I would love to talk to someone in person about this!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Put Philadelphia in your profile. It will show up every time you post.

Take a look at mine. See where it says Stockton, CA in the upper right corner? (I've closed down the shop and sold the place in Taxco, just haven't taken that down yet)

You will find a place in your profile to put your hometown and it will appear in the same space.

I know there are at least two forum members from there.

Either they will see you or you will see them and make contact.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ Roberts in Manasas VA
And Ray Cover is giving a class in the Pittsburgh, area

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I am using a Lindsay classic hooked up to a Pro-Air air brush compressor. The air brush compressor is quieter than my refrigerator and only has a couple of liter tank. It doesn't come on all that often, because the Lindsay is so frugal on air use. I got the compressor for $85.00 used on Kijiji. It works great and the price is right. There are a ton of air brush compressors on flea bay. I doubt they would work for the GRS pneumatics, probably wouldn't keep up with the air requirements.
Cheers
Don

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Gravermeister would be one of my last choices. It's noisy, oily smelling.
GRS systems consume too much air to be practical for air tank or CO2 use.
My Sil-Air compressor has been going strong for about 10 years now.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. I am also in Philadelphia, the Kensington section. But I don't use air power, so not much help to you.
Think there is only one other forum member in Philadelphia. The Lower Northeast. Don't know of any other active members in the Phila area.

You mention speed, and how non air power is slow. Air power is faster, but all the other work takes alot of time also. Metal prep, drawing and layout, transferring, sharpening gravers etc.

Maybe try out hammer and chisel if you haven't yet. Some people say they can work faster that way versus air power. But they are very experienced. Hammer and chisel will give you a good idea if engraving is for you without spending alot of money.

Latest posts

Sponsors