Bulino Tool

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
I often get asked what tool I use for my dot bulino so I thought I'd share a couple pics. It's certainly not traditional but it works well for me. The tool itself is pretty basic, a pen shaped stainless steel graver holder with an aluminum triangle tightened onto the shaft to help with leverage. The back end of the holder is between my index and middle fingers to lessen the angle I hold it at, it makes seeing/placing the point of the graver a lot easier for me. As for the graver itself its just a 90V with a 45 degree face. Sometimes I make the face steeper if the material is extra hard/tough.

Attachments

• bulinograver1.jpg
    bulinograver1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 457
  • bulinograver2.jpg
    bulinograver2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 451

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for sharing your tool of choice Ron. Is the leverage bit use to pop the chip? thanks for your explanation before hand-Fred

I use the leverage bit more for pushing the graver into the metal Fred, I found my fingers getting tired after a day of working so added the triangle to assist (the triangle piece is pretty rough as its the prototype, I experimented with different sizes and shapes to find something that was comfortable for me and have not gotten around to making a pretty one yet).

Make away guys:) FYI, I did not make the tool/holder itself, just the leverage triangle/piece. A guy named Charles Coulter (eBay user name woodlawn4) made the holder, he sells the scribe holders that I use for my scrimshaw (they are the same as this holder just smaller). I had him make me a few of these, they are just a beefed up and hollowed out deeper version of the scrim scribes he sells.

Kim Bauer

Thank-you so much for the information Ron....very valuable. Do you use black ink at all on your metal bulino images?

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Ron,
Your work is on a different level. We still would like to get together and talk shop the next tile we are in Phoenix.
Dan

Latest posts

Sponsors