Question: Different graver geometry, how would it affect ?

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I am trying to learn how to sharpen a graver and I have some questions,

I drew 4 different geometry ( in terms of primary heel ) and I wonder how will affect my cuts,

For exapmle what will happen if I use number 4 graver instead of number 1

What is the difference between number 2 and 3

Best Regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 306

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They will all cut well. Over time you will like one grind over the others.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used #4 for most of my career, with #3 for trimming sidewalls in relief engraving.
Lately I've used #2 because of a GRS sharpening fixture that makes only that geometry.

As Leonard says, they will all cut. They will produce different results in different people's hands so there's no easy answer. #1 and #2 can produce nice cuts when doing flare cutting, but the heel on #1 might be a little short.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
I used #4 for most of my career, with #3 for trimming sidewalls in relief engraving.
Lately I've used #2 because of a GRS sharpening fixture that makes only that geometry.

As Leonard says, they will all cut. They will produce different results in different people's hands so there's no easy answer. #1 and #2 can produce nice cuts when doing flare cutting, but the heel on #1 might be a little short.

Sam thanks for response,

I tried all of them but I have a common problem with all of them.

When I am turning my graver , espacially in a very small area, I always have burr at the sides of my custs and I need to use a sandpaper,

what can I do to make more shiny and smoth cuts,

Best Regards

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam thanks for response,

I tried all of them but I have a common problem with all of them.

When I am turning my graver , espacially in a very small area, I always have burr at the sides of my custs and I need to use a sandpaper,

what can I do to make more shiny and smoth cuts,

Best Regards

It sounds to me it's more like graver control that's causing the problem than the graver itself. You should be able to cut clean, tight radiuses with #2 through #4. #1 is probably too short of a heel.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
It sounds to me it's more like graver control that's causing the problem than the graver itself. You should be able to cut clean, tight radiuses with #2 through #4. #1 is probably too short of a heel.

Dear Sam,

What can I do to control graver

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I click on the link and it works for me. Try going to my site engraversstudio.com click on interactive video blog go to page 24 of the blogs and look at heel part 3 . See if this will get you there.

Chris

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
why don't you make side-by-side cuts with each of the geometries. doing this would give you a visual comparison of each tool. as mentioned in an earlier reply, after a bit of experience, you'll tend to gravitate to just 1 or 2 favorites. practice, alone, will teach this. no 2 engravers like the exact same tools, or a particular way of doing things. eventually the answer will come from you. please let us know what works for you. it may give a bit of help to others having the same problem.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
I click on the link and it works for me. Try going to my site engraversstudio.com click on interactive video blog go to page 24 of the blogs and look at heel part 3 . See if this will get you there.

Chris

I will try via different web browser tomorrow, rightnow I am using my mobile phone

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
why don't you make side-by-side cuts with each of the geometries. doing this would give you a visual comparison of each tool. as mentioned in an earlier reply, after a bit of experience, you'll tend to gravitate to just 1 or 2 favorites. practice, alone, will teach this. no 2 engravers like the exact same tools, or a particular way of doing things. eventually the answer will come from you. please let us know what works for you. it may give a bit of help to others having the same problem.

Thanks for advise, I will try to do it soon

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Just to be sure, are you putting your heel on the bottom side of your tool? You have made a very nice illustration that looks like you are putting the heel on the top side. And if that's the case then I would start with that.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I used to have that problem with drag. Still do on certain cuts but improving. Here is some advice passed on to me that helped a lot... "When cutting turns, be sure that you are turning the work and not turning your hand holding the graver". Easier said than done when you are first learning. Hope it helps you like it did me.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
I used to have that problem with drag. Still do on certain cuts but improving. Here is some advice passed on to me that helped a lot... "When cutting turns, be sure that you are turning the work and not turning your hand holding the graver". Easier said than done when you are first learning. Hope it helps you like it did me.

That is very interesting, I will try it today and let forum members know what happens

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
A big part of it is the experience that comes with practice. You wouldn't expect to have the skills of a extreme skier the first time you went down the mountain nor should you expect to control an engraver without cutting a few miles of line.

John

monk

Staff member
And bloodshed... don't forget that experience.

We give an award certificate to the first student who punctures himself/herself in every workshop.

And yeah, there is a first-aid kit hanging over the benches. It gets used fairly often.

Brian
any of them ever need a transfusion ? better keep a supply on hand.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i think christians video is about dropping your elbow.. don't do it.

question on geometry 4 (sam if you're still watching). seems it interrupts the cutting face, right to assume you would taper your graver until it meets your heel?