Question: Supply question

VEATCH

Hello All,

I am writing in reference to engraving equipment.

I am writing to inquire about any ability to donate used engraving equipment. If you have the ability to donate overstock or equipment with imperfection I would greatly appreciate the help. I am only asking because this will help offset my cost to start something new. As a disabled veteran my life has, and continues to change day to day. I was very active in the past; however, that has all changed. The frustrating part would be the unexplained problems that I have stemming from military service. If there are any veterans out there that need help or someone to correspond with by all means let me know. I understand this is a long shot; however, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thank you for your time and understanding.

Brandon S. Veatch
b_veatch@yahoo.com
270-498-1243

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
you don't need a lot of equipment to start out. you need a small hammer a 3/32" square tool bit and a handle to hold it. a vise (a regular bench vise will work for starting out). and some heavy guage sheet metal I like mild steel the best for practice. for sharpening you can use stones a bench grinder helps to rough out the tool bit. unless you got real good vision you need magnification & the cheapest route is a opti-visor w/ a 5 or 7 lens.Of course there are variations & opinions on what the minimum kit should be. I think Sam A. had a tool list with everything needed & it cost just over $100 if I remember correctly.
as for used or overstock equipment it will generally be sold because of its initial cost. As a disabled vet perhaps the VA can help you with some start-up costs. Good luck.

VEATCH

Thank you! I did get an Opti-visor, a bench vise, and I have a hammer. I think my hammer is a little large. I have been reading about making your own scribes; however, what I found it sounds very technical. I thought about a dremel, but I would not be able to get the crisp lines I see. Where would Sam A's list be? Thanks again!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Brandon,
Please post your mailing address for those willing to send tools.
I will be sending a couple of sticks of "Thermolock" along with a handled chisel for hammer and chisel work.
Good luck,
ATC

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
I lost my leg in the army and a lot has changed. It was hard, but also found wonderful things. Always believe in yourself and have to have faith. Force!

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your service. If hand engraving is something you want to get serious about, you have found a wealth of knowledge here. It has been said time and again here that the most important tools you can own are a notepad and pencil. As far as cutting tools go, you can get started push engraving for about the cost of a Dremel and have much better results.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can send you several graver blanks. they are of such composition that would make them suitable for soft metals & jewelry. i also have a 3.5" mini ball-- flat on top-- with a 1/2"-13 threaded hole. a small rubber tire (lawn mower).. or a "socket" made from a plastic toy wheel can get you started for push graving. too light for hammer & chisel work. also a few graver handles. no pm, please--
jayismonk450@gmail.com lemme know if you want this -- if so consider it yours.
the threaded hole would allow a small vise to be affixed on the top. you could also use thermoloc or hot-melt glue.
the fotos show the mini ball, and also any old bowling ball can be used in a pinch for a ball vise. shown is an example this gentleman used for engraving. lastly a very clever one made by a forum member quite some time ago would be suitable for pushgraving.

Attachments

• BALL VISE.jpg
    BALL VISE.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 320
  • MINI BALLVISE.JPG
    MINI BALLVISE.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 320
  • VISE.jpg
    VISE.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 320

VEATCH

Thank you all for the help and advice! I did not expect all the help. I would gladly use anything you all feel would help. Thank you Thank you! Let me know if I can help with shipping. (b_veatch@yahoo.com)

3804 North State Road 45
Solsberry, IN 47459

You guys are awesome!

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I feel this to be more than a worthy request. Stuff will be on the way tomorrow.

"Garry Owen"

VEATCH

I don't really have the words to explain to you all how great you have made me feel. I was worried about posting and requesting, but prompting from various friends paved the way. I appreciate everything. Hopefully someday in the future I will be helping somebody out as well.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i know i was "there". far longer than one would want. my first real learning came thru the j.b. meeks book, "the art of engraving". the best thing about his book, it gave at least a birds eye view of the many disciplines one had to learn to be an effective engraver. before that book, i did manage to have a few chats with a few of the top pros at that time. all were very helpful as far as possible on the phone.
the most memorable was a conversation with lynton mckenzie. i had a stainless steel 44 magnum about half way finished. the project was giving me fits ! he politely told me not to do it.when he realized it was already in progress, a serious dissertation on sharpening was given over the phone.
it's memories like that, i think that makes me willing to help those that i can.

VEATCH

Thanks Monk! It was great talking with you. I am going to order the "Art of Engraving" we talked about. Thanks to everyone. I will be practicing!

Brandon

VEATCH

Thank you to Mr. Gary Owen! Loved the things you sent cant wait to put them to good use. I am working on the sketching/ drawing to learn the art form. Wish you all the best!

VEATCH

Where are they or how are they? The quality is not the best...I will get them posted by Sunday. The line terminations are stumping me, but I will figure them out. You all are very talented! This is like no other art form I have seen.