Critique Request Enameled money clip

Mrfinks

spurred on by everyone's kind words of encouragement the last time I showed my work, I decided to try something a little more advanced.

This is a sterling silver money clip that was damaged so I decided to make it nice again.

It's all hand pushed. I carved out the back ground (which takes forever and a day) then fired it with black enamel. its just blackened with whiteboard marker because i cant find the paint that you guys use.

It's not the greatest thing in the world, But I learned a bunch and like to think I improved it from its original state.

I'm still a noob at engraving so all comments/tips/anything you may notice would be greatly appreciated :)
C.C

1.jpg 3.jpg IMG_0563.jpg 2.jpg

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the paint you're referring to is Rustoleum that's just a popular brand in the USA. Just get whatever the regular flat black enamel paint is around your way. Same stuff you'd use to paint something metal meant to sit outside.

Money clip doesn't look too bad. Need a better / closer shot to be sure. Number one tip for better photos: use a camera support (tripod, bean bag, whatever).

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Mrfinks,

I was surprised that you hard enamelled the silver - didn't that cause the silver to lose it's spring? And the for you to darken the cuts with a marker! BTW I use an oiled based printers ink available for around $15- from an art supply store. If you would use an ink to darken why would you enamel?

Here is a hint though - if you do decide to enamel, remove the background and overfill the areas - the enamel will settle when fired and shrink back as can be seen in the photos - repeat the process again and stone back to get a flat surface. This is when you can cut the detail.

Actually I would have thought that the enamel would crack in general use of the money clip - "You're a braver man than I am , Gunga Din"

It was good to see the echidna

Roger

Steve L S

Mrfinks, Bunnings sell this, http://www.bunnings.com.au/white-knight-rustguard-1l-hammered-finished-silver-metal-paint_p1567166
you need the flat black one, it works well and better if you thin it down a bit with turps, nice clip:thumbsup:

cheers

Richard.

Richard, yes that's the one I use but in flat black. I use their thinners because I have plenty of it and my mate who works in maintenance at Inghams chook factory says they have switched to that paint and spray/brush it on machinery without undercoat and it holds up well.
Another alternative, where the high temps of vitreous enamel cannot be used on the project, or where the glass may crack as in a money clip is the two part epoxy colour infill - the one I use is Ceramit. If you have a bit of the Australian stirrer in you, wait until you are in a group of metalworkers including glass enameists and tell them you know all about enameling, that vitreous enamel has been replaced by low temp enamels like Ceramit and that's what you use.
You might be told that you are mucking around with coloured glue, that there is no such thing as low temp enamel and that marketing term has been banned in France ( have been unable to confirm that last one which I was told by a friend)
Steve

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Vitreous enamel takes more skills and equipment, and that is the main reason why it costs more.

The "other" enamels or colored glues can be used in situations where cost is the main factor, you cannot heat the item - or are simply too lazy or tool poor.

Yes, there are a lot of descriptions that need to be clarified/regulated worldwide - and the entire US hallmarking system is antiquated. Way too many exceptions and new alloys that don't fit the rules. Plus, I believe we are one of the only, if not the only country left that allows a nickel alloy white gold anymore?

Steve L S - Didja ever confirm that ban in France?

Brian

Last edited:

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Richard, yes that's the one I use but in flat black. I use their thinners because I have plenty of it and my mate who works in maintenance at Inghams chook factory says they have switched to that paint and spray/brush it on machinery without undercoat and it holds up well.
Another alternative, where the high temps of vitreous enamel cannot be used on the project, or where the glass may crack as in a money clip is the two part epoxy colour infill - the one I use is Ceramit. If you have a bit of the Australian stirrer in you, wait until you are in a group of metalworkers including glass enameists and tell them you know all about enameling, that vitreous enamel has been replaced by low temp enamels like Ceramit and that's what you use.
You might be told that you are mucking around with coloured glue, that there is no such thing as low temp enamel and that marketing term has been banned in France ( have been unable to confirm that last one which I was told by a friend)
Steve

It is very good paint, I painted a wood lade 2 metal lathes and a power hacksaw that I refurbished and it still holding very well no primer no undercoat, and the best part is you can wipe the surfaces with paint thinners and it doesn't come off, unlike some other cr@p paint I used on my first lathe , it would not hold out, not even for WD40, :mad:, as for enameling, I like to give it a try some time in the future, but I know nothing about it, and my brain is overflowing at the moment trying to learn all about engraving, :biggrin:

Richard.

Steve L S

Steve L S - Didja ever confirm that ban in France?

No, I put it down to lunchtime banter.We have an international forum so maybe someone from France can clarify if they read this. Here is a link to a criticism of pseudo enamels

http://grainsofglass.ning.com/profiles/blogs/cold-enamelling-terms-need-to-be-stopped

I admit to being prejudiced against all cold/low temp enamels until I did a small sculpture workshop with a tutor who showed some examples of work he did using them; it was amazingly beautiful. No it lacked the glassy hardness and shine of true vitreous enamel and we do not know how long the colours will remain true but it’s a bit mean to call it glue, it is much better than araldite with dye in it!

Richard. Yes paints have come a long way in the last twenty years.There are extremely tough and durable paints used to paint submarines and oil rigs but you need a hazmat suit to use them. At least this one is available at every Bunnings store and does not give me a headache to use.

Mr Finks- I am sure that the shine and colour you achieved are beyond all power of our computer monitors to render

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors