Help, please: Does This Look Like Nimschke Work?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks like one of his to me. But without a signature it can only be attributed to him. Nice gun though. What is the asking price and how are you trying to go about selling it?

hyrax222

Asking Price?

Price to be determined after completely researched.
Probably will be put on Gunbroker or other auction sites.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I would contact Linda Kohn/Sherwood and/or Brian Lebel of "High Noon Auctions" 1st.
Then I would holler at the Gene Autrey museum in L.A.
The High Noon auction has sold several P.V. possessions over the years, realizing top dollar.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the pictures that you have shown, I am about 90% sure that it is a genuine LDN engraving. I would like to see close-up images of the side panels and one of the cylinder facets to achieve any certainty.

I have been asked to authenticate many purported Nimschkes, most of which were fakes. A signature is no guarantee of authenticity as the majority of spurious Nimschkes have some form of forged signature. In fact, when I see a signature on a purported Nimschke, I am immediately suspicious since LDN only signed about 18% of his work, usually the most elaborate. There were also a number of 19th century freelance engravers who copied LDN's style but there are discernible differences because those engravers were not trying to fake LDN work (he wasn't famous then). They were just working in a popular style.

I look at possible LDN engraving the same way as a police criminalist looks at fingerprints, using multiple points of comparison.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
YXrancher,

Can you name any of the other people who worked in Nimschke's Shop? I have never come across any evidence that LDN employed any other engravers.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Not to derail the thread,but it appears a lot of stamping was used. Is that common to his work?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Man, Nimshcke sure made solid hammer blows. You have to be rockin' with hammer & chisel to see progression marks like that.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, Nimshcke sure made solid hammer blows. You have to be rockin' with hammer & chisel to see progression marks like that.

We often forget that what to us, today, is an example of great work from the past was, to the engraver, just another production job to get whacked out ASAP.

But as they say, practice makes perfect and cranking out piece after piece after piece tends to up your game. Look at Sam, to pick just one of our fellows who have been doing this for a living long enough to, shall we say, get the hang of it. ;)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
R.L.Wilson and John J. Malloy put together a wonder reference of smoke pulls on the engravings of L.D. Nimschke,with out this book and men like R.L. Wilson John Amber and James B. Meek who promoted and educated us on this wonderful art we would not be here on the two forums exchanging ideas and learning from each other. J.J.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
lots of different borders etc. on his work, I like the artistic style.:hammer:

Latest posts

Sponsors