Disappointing support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Chris: The USA needs to make a small loan from Finland. Can you help us with that? Hopefully we don't already owe you money.

Finland has debt too & I have 3 boys to feed so can't help :D
Best we start cutting up those credit cards!
I think Norway is the place to ask.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I certainly don't have money to spare to help someone buy an Airstream camper.

the Airstream brought to mind an incident some years ago when my wife & i attended a fundraiser for the local animal shelter. their 'wish list' included a Canon EOS digital camera -for just taking pics of pets up for adoption to post online, etc. that's right, somebody thought it was a good idea to hit up donors for a $1,000+ camera system when most any inexpensive decent name brand point-n-shoot would have served the purpose for what, $150 tops?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think Ray would have gotten a better response if he'd offered "rewards" for contributions, like a print, engraving advice, critique, Skype lesson, etc, based on the size of the contribution. That's how it's done on Kickstarter.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Castings. Castings would be a great thank you to fellow engravers and I know Ray has some great ones.
The benefit to them as rewards is that they're very inexpensive to produce - assuming you have an engraving worth doing a cast of. ;)

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Since we're kicking around ideas, here is a novel approach.

Go to the bank and BORROW the money !

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since we're kicking around ideas, here is a novel approach.

Go to the bank and BORROW the money !

Let's play the role of the banker.
This guy comes in to borrow 20k. He's self employed. Maybe recently divorced. We as bankers will ask what he plans on doing with the money. He replies that he will travel around the country teaching people to engrave. We as bankers will ask if he has a steady income. He will tell us how he just picks up business as he goes. We as bankers will probably say no to the loan unless he can come up with a large down payment. And that's where the hand out may play an important role.

Andrew Biggs

I’m really struggling with this whole thread. It strikes me as being a bit unseemly and has an over all tone of unpleasantness from both sides.

Ray is a guy a lot of us personally know, had dealings with or know of by reputation and is being dissected in public for good and bad.

He has put out a simple request in what has become a fairly common format over the internet………….. Donate or not donate, that is everyones personal choice for whatever reasons.

If you don’t like the support he is receiving, is there any reason for publicly trying to shame people into supporting him.??

If you don’t like his request then is it really necessary to air it in public?

Whatever happened to a bit of discretion and learning when it’s appropriate to say something and when it’s time to zip the lips??

Quite frankly I find this whole discussion to be cringeworthy.

Cheers
Andrew

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
No point starting a thread on a forum if no-one replies to it...how boring would that be.:thinking:

Now, how about using all that potential advertising space being hauled around....?

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
For those who haven't looked there is a support page on the gofund me site for Ray Cover......He has broken down this project to the dollar of what he wants to do.....I think at the very least he will be able to buy the older air stream trailer of his choice..... He has though this project out very well and I wish him all the luck......

Bob

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I was curious as to what helpful comments Ray Cover has made on the Café on the last few months or the last years. So I went and looked at the posts that Ray Cover has made on the Café, I would guess 99% were ads for his traveling classes, the other 1% were confirmations of info that someone else had posted. Granted according to some his traveling classes have benefited a lot of people, but none of the Café posts have benefited the members. You have to give to expect receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors