Taking a day off

devonsaunders

Just bought at an auction, Told my parents I needed them for reference material lol, they have to stay at the farm. I will be getting two pairs of mandrins in October

Attachments

• 20150413_170804-1-1.jpg
    20150413_170804-1-1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 195

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Back when I was a farrier (horseshoer) and saddlemaker, I got audited by our lovable tax agency. (IRS)

They disputed my claim for the cost and maintenance of a horse - as a business expense.

I was quite willing to go to court over it. After all, tailors and dressmakers (are there any of those left?) were/are allowed deductions for the expense of "dummies" to fit their products to...

And in my case, I was making a line of corrective/protective "boots" for horses, saddles that had to fit classic quarter horse withers as well as making and observing the function of various corrective horseshoes - in action!

What was I supposed to do? Go and rent a horse somewhere at 2 or 3am? (I was young and kept those kinds of working hours - as did a coupla my clients)

They put up a fuss, but finally allowed it - knowing I was serious about taking the matter to court.

Dunno if it'd work up there in the north? Trying to write off your ducks, feed, and housing?

I wrote/write off the cameras used to take photos of everything with. One of the many advantages of owning your own business.

Brian

Never did to try and write off the maintenance of my girlfriend - whom I often used to test out show chaps, spur straps, belts, watchbands, hat bands and all the silver ornaments. Barrettes, bracelets, rings, buckles, and the like... be fun to try - if I had had time and patience :)

Last edited:

Sponsors