Question for gun collectors

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
I figure that there are a few collectors out there among the engravers so I am hoping to get a question answered that I think is more along their lines. Do you collect items associated with guns and gun makers as well? Here is why I ask. There was in exhibition in London in 1851 that was attended by exhibitors from around the world and each exhibitor was given a medal marked with their country of origin and the number of their exhibit. I recently acquired a medal from American exhibitor #162 who was showing off his grain drill. His name was Richard Gatling, who later invented the machine gun. A dealer in Americana told me that in the right firearms auction it could be worth $1000-1500, but firearms are not his specialty. Any thoughts?

Joe Paonessa

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
All I know is anything connected to Colt especially the 51' Navies is collectable. as far as value who knows? google it out.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Without picking nits, The key characteristic of modern machine guns is their relatively high rate of fire and more importantly machine (automatic) loading, something first developed by Dr Gatling in his 1862 model.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are people who collect Gatlings And I believe they would easily pay $1,000. at auction for that medal. Most collectors also collect ephemera related to their area of collecting.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Yea, it was almost like posting on Facebook, but it seems the misguided post has been deleted. Roger and Highveldt, thanks for your comments as to potential value of my medal. I just checked on what Gatlings sell for and if people can collect them at those prices, I think I can make a profit on my medal.

Joe

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
OK, hopefully the pics will show up.

Yes, this is THE Prince Albert of "in the can" fame.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
The designer was William Wyon who was from a family of engravers who worked for the Royal Mint. They did have reduction lathes at the mint, but cutting directly into steel was still done as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors